Main Menu

Rejetted my carb.... WOW !

Started by Racer57, September 22, 2022, 08:35:07 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

70 Cuda, HP383. manual, Holley 750 dual feed double pump

Car ran and started great, but black "soot" on rear valance so I knew it needed re-jetted.   Suggestions in this forum suggested 2 sizes at a time.  Factory jets were 80/76. They are now 73/70. The difference in response and even the sound is incredible. I would still like to tinker with it a little more, but will have to find another buddy with a more compete jet assortment so I know what to buy after experimenting.   :D 

blown motor

That's something I've been meaning to do as my bumper and valance also get sooty. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks for giving me a push.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

torredcuda

There is a lot more tuning you can do with a Holley DP - pump cam selection, position, adjustment, power valve, squirters - all to optimize the air/fuel ratio over the whole rpm range. It will run better and produce more HP so well worth the time spent.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Filthy Filbert

And with today's advancements in technology... use of a wideband O2 sensor will help tremendously!   

dodj

Quote from: torredcuda on September 22, 2022, 10:47:23 AM
There is a lot more tuning you can do with a Holley DP - pump cam selection, position, adjustment, power valve, squirters - all to optimize the air/fuel ratio over the whole rpm range. It will run better and produce more HP so well worth the time spent.
Yup...went down that rabbit hole....buy lots of bits an pieces (cams, squirters, jets, bleeds...) and spend days messin' with it. Found it fun though figuring out what worked and what didn't. Used an Innovate wideband o2 sensor to help me out.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Racer57 on September 22, 2022, 08:35:07 AM
  Factory jets were 80/76. They are now 73/70.

Are you listing your jets sizes as primary/secondary, or vice versa?  Primary jets are typically smaller than the secondary jets.

I will second, or third, the recommendation for using a wideband O2 meter.  Based on throttle response you are probably in a better place at idle, but you'll also want to make sure that you're not running lean at WOT.

Racer57

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on September 22, 2022, 03:11:36 PM

Are you listing your jets sizes as primary/secondary, or vice versa?  Primary jets are typically smaller than the secondary jets.

I will second, or third, the recommendation for using a wideband O2 meter.  Based on throttle response you are probably in a better place at idle, but you'll also want to make sure that you're not running lean at WOT.

Ooops. Secondary/primary

torredcuda

Main jets don`t affect idle mixture. I`ve never had an O2 meter or sensor but that would be ideal, or a dyno. I`ve always just tuned by set of my pants, reading plugs and 1/4 mile ETs.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: torredcuda on September 23, 2022, 04:10:06 AM

Main jets don`t affect idle mixture. I`ve never had an O2 meter or sensor but that would be ideal, or a dyno. I`ve always just tuned by set of my pants, reading plugs and 1/4 mile ETs.

Agreed, the point of my comment was really to say that there are multiple circuits of a carb to tune and that it is really helpful to have a wideband meter to see where you are in real-time while utilizing each of those circuits.  Old school tuning certainly still works, but it takes alot longer to get it sorted out and track time isn't cheap.   :alan2cents: