Main Menu

Removing 340/883 from my Cuda.. tips?

Started by FSHTAIL, November 22, 2017, 07:09:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

Body shop gave me a great quote on doing my whole car up.       But a part of that was with me removing the engine.       

Bad part is my back is pretty screwed up and I've been off work for almost a month.   

I've never removed the engine from an E body.  This is also my first manual trans car. 

Need newbie advise please.   
I'm guessing I'm due for a engine hoist and engine lift plate.   

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FSHTAIL

The car needs to roll and steer.   

Cuda Cody

Take lots of photos so you feel comfortable putting everything back in.  Not to worry if you miss something, there's a lot of people here that can help you with anything you don't know.  You'll need a way to lift the car to remove it from the bottom or a way to lift the engine if you pull from the top.  Do you have a cherry picker (engine hoist)?

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on November 22, 2017, 07:17:46 PM
The car needs to roll and steer.   

If you have the ability to take it out the bottom is the preferred method. Doesn't take much to put the k frame and the spindles back on.  :alan2cents: :cheers:

Rich G.

Out the bottom is easy if you have the setup for it. I always just pull the trans out first and then the engine can come straight up with ease. Only bad thing is the trans is a heavy mother so if your back is bad now be careful. Pretty easy job.

FSHTAIL

Quote from: Cuda Cody on November 22, 2017, 07:18:04 PM
Take lots of photos so you feel comfortable putting everything back in.  Not to worry if you miss something, there's a lot of people here that can help you with anything you don't know.  You'll need a way to lift the car to remove it from the bottom or a way to lift the engine if you pull from the top.  Do you have a cherry picker (engine hoist)?
I'll get a Cherry picker.       

Last time I pulled a 340 was 1998 with 90% help from my brother that knew his shit, but that was on his A body 340 727... 

Just not sure where to start. 
Wasn't planning for this. 

Chryco Psycho

I agree with above , far easier to drop it out the bottom , Lift the engine from the K frame & put the K back in , I can get an engine & trans out the bottom in roughly 90 mins

FSHTAIL

I am not prepared for this physically and have a 1 car garage in a townhome. 
Should be interesting. 

At least the headers will come out easy.   

FSHTAIL

I don't think I can safely do this with the amount of pain meds I'm on.      I also don't have the room to do it.          Been off work for almost a month.   

nsmall

Looks a little tight in the ol garage.  Do you have a friend or buddy whose healthy?  Maybe wait until your health and strength come back.  Tough to work when your back is messed up.

Lilian

Hey Chris

I have back pain too and I did it on my 70 cuda with "lots' of medicine and help from my wife.( I did lots of stretching the 3 days before doing it and eat natural medicine); I do not know how bad is your back but there is no heavy loads to carry on your own if you do it by below your car and you don't need a lot of room in your garage. a buddy may help you with this

I built dollies that are bolt to the front bumper and it works very well to steer and move the car !!

it took me 2.5 hours and that was the 1st time I did it !! 1.5 hour to disconnect everything and check 3 times, 1 hour to unbolt approx 14 bolts (4 at the trans crossmember, 4 at the k member, 4 at the upper control arms and 2 upper shocks bolts)

very easy for a newb just have to check and re-check everything is disconnected !!

on the back pain, I used to suffer from my back at a point I was unable to get up on morning and unable to go to work, then I tried an inversion table at a friend's home in Ga ( I am French, it was after a 8hour flight and was broken in 2) and from that day, my pain is 10% what it was 6 years ago. I was going twice a month to the chiropractor, I only go once or two a year just to check I am "straight", and I can go skiing and windsurfing and I also skydived again (with moderation) !! depending on your back problems, I encourage you to try.
my friends all want a stay on my inversion table when they come for dinners

Lilian

home made front dollies and at work

Brads70

I agree with all the "out the bottom" comments If you position the jack stands right you can lift the car with one hand . Go to harbour freight  or something and get a moving dollie . I made a simple one with angle iron a chunk of 3/4 plywood and 4 casters. Hey that space is do-able! I build a whole chassis in a single car garage in a townhouse once, then swapped the chassis in my 55 Belair.
I have about the same space to work as you! Get er done man!  :Stirring:

Seriously though wait until your back is better or get some help.

nsmall

Here are the dolly system I used.  Cross bar is probably Overkill.