Main Menu

SB 4spd combo opinions

Started by ec_co, September 19, 2019, 08:35:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ec_co

my wife gave the OK to finally push forward with getting the car done, but with the caveat that I only get one chance at the drivetrain since we have to be budget conscious. with that in mind, I want to have fun with my car for a while and over the next few years I'll gather the right parts I need to re-do the slant combo eventually. so with that in mind, I need some advice on a good combination for what i'll be doing. I plan on daily driving 8k+ miles a year, most of that is freeway. I want to do a 360 magnum build (currently eyeing P.I.E. for the build after some research. Blueprint hasn't gotten back to me yet on a magnum build)), either keeping 360 or stroking to 408 and keeping it under 400hp for gas savings (haha) and driveability (under 350 if going with a 360). I'm swapping out the 3psd for a 4spd. Also swapping out the 7.25 for an 8.75, either 3.23 or 3.55 gears. wheels will be 15"

questions:

-Transmission  - is an OD 23spline the right way to go? (keeping costs down)
                         - or better to go with standard gear set?
                         - Brewers is also saying " don't think you would be happy with the factory style od ratios with a performance build.    If you are concerned about hwy rpm's, keep the 3.23 axle and run a 27"-28" tire.  I can build you a 3.09 low gear ratio 1:1 4-speed.  This lower 1st gear will make the car feel like it has more rear axle ratio, and keep cruising rpms down." -- what are your thoughts here?

-Rear - based on the above, 3.23 or 3.55?
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

70 Challenger Lover

I have run several cars with a 3.23 gear and larger 27" tires. It's not a bad way to go. Kind of a fair compromise but it won't do either particularly well. If you are anxious to get the car back on the road, might be the quickest and most economical way to go.

I have a 5 speed tremec in my 64 Vette and I love it. Really a game changer for drivability. If you have waited a while and can wait a bit longer, I think I'd consider saving a little more and getting a nice aftermarket 5 or 6 speed OD trans rather than an older factory 4 speed OD. Then you could have the best of both worlds!

A different way to spend that extra money for a nice daily driver upgrade might be to go with EFI instead. The EFI wouldn't help lower highway RPMs but it would make the car smoother, more powerful, more reliable, and more drivable under all conditions which would also be a very nice improvement as well.

I'd be hard pressed to decide which of those two improvements I'd like better. I know EFI is next on my upgrade list for the Vette.

ec_co

EFI is a must for me. going with Sniper and their Hyperspark distributor
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

ledphoot

Quote from: ec_co on September 19, 2019, 08:56:37 AM

The way I see it is this... Either go with a standard 833 four speed and 3.23's or pony up for a 5 speed and run either 3.55's or 3.73's depending on which 5 speed you get (what first gear ratio is in the transmission)

I'd definitely go with a mild small block stroker, you can get 450HP very steetable horsepower out of a mild build and that sniper EFI. My build is pushing a smidge over 500HP on pump gas and it's definitely a street car. I am using the dual-sync distributor, the hyper-spark was not available at the time.. If I were doing it right now I'd likely pick the hyperspark as well. I did the Tremec TKO 5-speed with a complete 3.55 8.75"
third member / axles from Doctor Diff. If you take the Tremec path, Silver Sport Transmissions has been very helpful, you will probably have to cut your floor for clearance to raise the tail of the transmission up in order to correct the engine angle / driveline angle etc... I just did this, it took 3/4" of spacers on the trans mount to get everything properly lined up. You could go with an overdrive 883 to keep things much simpler, if you do that I would hit up Passon.. If you have deep pockets ($6K) their A-855 looks like a GREAT five speed solution for our cars.... You will also want a new gas tank with an in-tank fuel pump and EFI means some fuel system plumbing.. There are many ways to skin that cat, you can use hardline for the majority of your send / return and then flare it to connect the tank / throttle body or just use good quality earls lines for all of it.

Make sure you address your wiring for your charging system / volt meter / headlights while you are up in there.. Drop the amount of voltage going through your bulkhead.

If you got one shot at it... Do it right from the beginning.

Here's a clip of the initial start of my small block stroker from a few months ago

ledphoot

If I were to obtain a new motor today I think Bob Mazzolini would be who I'd be talking to.

ClarkWGrizwald

Quote from: ledphoot on September 19, 2019, 11:27:14 AM
Quote from: ec_co on September 19, 2019, 08:56:37 AM

The way I see it is this... Either go with a standard 833 four speed and 3.23's or pony up for a 5 speed and run either 3.55's or 3.73's depending on which 5 speed you get (what first gear ratio is in the transmission)

I'd definitely go with a mild small block stroker, you can get 450HP very steetable horsepower out of a mild build and that sniper EFI. My build is pushing a smidge over 500HP on pump gas and it's definitely a street car. I am using the dual-sync distributor, the hyper-spark was not available at the time.. If I were doing it right now I'd likely pick the hyperspark as well. I did the Tremec TKO 5-speed with a complete 3.55 8.75"
third member / axles from Doctor Diff. If you take the Tremec path, Silver Sport Transmissions has been very helpful, you will probably have to cut your floor for clearance to raise the tail of the transmission up in order to correct the engine angle / driveline angle etc... I just did this, it took 3/4" of spacers on the trans mount to get everything properly lined up. You could go with an overdrive 883 to keep things much simpler, if you do that I would hit up Passon.. If you have deep pockets ($6K) their A-855 looks like a GREAT five speed solution for our cars.... You will also want a new gas tank with an in-tank fuel pump and EFI means some fuel system plumbing.. There are many ways to skin that cat, you can use hardline for the majority of your send / return and then flare it to connect the tank / throttle body or just use good quality earls lines for all of it.

Make sure you address your wiring for your charging system / volt meter / headlights while you are up in there.. Drop the amount of voltage going through your bulkhead.

If you got one shot at it... Do it right from the beginning.

Here's a clip of the initial start of my small block stroker from a few months ago

You may need wome stronger motor mounts!! Jesus !
I like it! Sounds nasty!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

7212Mopar

You will need a higher amperage alternator than stock for EFI and ignition plus wired back to the battery as others suggested. The stock alternator cannot keep up.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Chryco Psycho

I have used a lot of the factory A833 Od units , I really like them , with .71 OD I would look at 3.55 gears  :alan2cents:

Fern

Someone mentioned the passon A855 5 speed. Is that in production or still a long wait?

Chryco Psycho

Still a wait for them , they do offer the 833 hemi  OD 4 Spd

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: I'm sort of thinking budget so I like a combo I built quite a few years ago and it was fun. All with budget in mind; 360 Magnum with a carb intake (these days something like an RPM with a Magnum pattern, I'm not sure they make such a thing), bigger roller cam, stockish compression for pump gas, some porting on the heads, headers of course, 3.09 first gear straight through high gear A833, 3.23 gear. Injection of your choice.
More money would be put into the heads first, stroker second. I still like the 1-1 high gear with 3.23 though, the money you save there can be spent elsewhere IMO.
If you can find a factory OD for a good price I could see using it but I would run a 3.73 or 3.91 with it, for sure not a 3.23.
Sheldon