Main Menu

SB Six Pack Center Carb -- Venturi Booster

Started by MOPAR MITCH, April 24, 2020, 10:34:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MOPAR MITCH

A few years ago, the center carb on my 340 six-pack had a piece fall off and got swallowed in my engine... caused an eventual rod bearing failure ... nothing else serious to damage the engine, fortunately.   The engine actually ran fine just with the ticking noise... and I never knew what happened to the carb until an eventual engine pull and discovery of the missing piece inside one of the cylinder chambers.

So, I looked at the carbs and was surprised to see the missing one piece that apparently fell off.  See the pics... one is missing the little straight venturi booster nozzle (with my flashlight)... the other picture is a spare parts carb that is from some unknown engine. 

My question:  Is there a replacement venturi booster nozzle that can be installed?  Is there a better setup?... and so this doesn't happen again?

I use the car for autocross and road race sessions... its not original... its my driver and race car.

PS: The carbs are setup with PROMAX parts... excellent running setup!   New SB 410 stroker just installed... hope to be running and driving this year 2020!  Carbs to be rebuilt.

T/Anks ahead.

Chryco Psycho

I have never seen that part break off , the booster is swedged into place , I bet you would wreck it trying to replace it , the best way is to replace the main body

Fastmark

I'm not sure 100% ( I'd have to look at my stash of carbs) but I think the center six pack carb is the only carb with that booster style. That booster is swedged in place after plating originally. I've got a couple of carbs with a booster melted off from a carb fire. It is made of softer metal, I assume. You can send them to Scott Smith and he can repair it. I don't think he will only just replace the booster though. He will only do it in the restoration process of the entire carb, from my communication with him. I just sent one off To another guy that says he can get it done by his plating company. There is a company that makes new boosters and the tool that swedges them in place. They are not quite the same as the oem ones. Boosters have different size holes in them as well.

MOPAR MITCH

T/Anks guys.    That spare parts center carb I pictured has a LIST 4376 (3379)... also markings of D-1565 and 6R 3589 B on top
... I have no idea what it was supposed to fit... picked these up many years ago... brand new.. at a swap meet.

Any idea what that LIST 4376 is intended for?

Also, the metering block for that spare parts center carb has a number 6020 on the top of it... any idea what it fits?

My new engine is a SB 410 stroker (calculated 9.9:1 CR).

Chryco Psycho

4376 is a 440 center carb with auto trans for 1970

MOPAR MITCH

T/Anks Chryco... I wonder if that 440 center carb would be better for my new 410 SB stroker?... maybe I'll give it a try.

Chryco Psycho

Worth trying it for sure , , bleed sizes may be wrong tho , actually very likely as once you swap a can the bleed sizes are generally off anyway

RUNCHARGER

410 is much closer to 440 than it is to 340.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Bleed sizes are relative the vacuum signal not so much CI . Fuel flow demand is closer with the 440 carb for sure

Fastmark

Metering block 6020 is for a 70 440 six pack

MOPAR MITCH

T/Anks for the extra info... yes... be worth trying.