Main Menu

Can’t get the Barracuda to idle down

Started by Matt13, June 19, 2020, 08:16:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71383bee

Just a random question to set a baseline for everything. What is the timing of the motor at?  Initial and total at what rpm? 

If that isn't set right from the start carb adjustments can vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Chryco Psycho

Yes it may be an original carb but the intake isn't so the carb is sitting much higher causing the throttle cable to be short & the odd angle of the kickdown linkage .
In the past I have made a solid steel link with 2 holes in it so the cable can sit in the stock location & the steel link fits inside the end of the cable with an extra hitch pin & the other end of the link slides onto the throttle pin on the carb , this is generally the easiest fix as most cables have the same travel distance between the clamp point on the steel sleeve & the throttle pin even if the overall length is longer .
AT least the choke is coming off in the pictures but the other side of the carb would show how it is connected .

Matt13

I haven't set the timing yet; my mechanic friend has all his stuff being shipped from Texas here to CA, so after it gets here, we will set the timing.

73_Cuda_4_Me

There was another thread with 340 kickdown that has a couple of pix for reference from members Chryco and Bullitt...

https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/340-carb-and-kick-down-linkage/16489/
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

73chalngr

Here is a picture of a link that I made so the cable could sit in the proper location like Chryco talks about

7212Mopar

Bochullion cable system. Everything line up and easy to adjust.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Chryco Psycho

Making a link ffrom 1/8 thick steel is chaper  :alan2cents: