Main Menu

Cuda wouldn’t shift out of Park; Frozen.

Started by 72and86, October 17, 2020, 05:18:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

72and86

So I started my 70 Cuda 383 automatic today and it wouldn't shift out of Park. The lever wouldn't move no matter how hard I pressed the shifter lever button, and my foot was on the brake if it matters. Finally after fooling with it for what seemed forever it shifted into Drive, but putting it back into Park resulting the same thing. A frozen OEM shift lever.
Wht'a going on?

anlauto

Do you have the proper shifter lock out linkage in place ? Could be out of adjustment or binding somewhere...and you know you have to turn the key to move the gear shift.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

72and86

Yes the car was running when I tried to move the shifter.

MOPAR MITCH

I had a recent problem with my slap stick... it moved but wouldn't engage... a bit difficult to move at times... happened suddenly... took the console out.. and discovered a broken cotter pin ... easy fix.

Chryco Psycho

the plastic center button can wear down , if you undo the set screw & thread the handle up or down & bit it should work fine again

72and86

Solved. The button which is threaded and turns on a giant long threaded bolt, was down too far. After removing the knob my mechanic and I played with the position of he button. It took 9 1/2 turns down to work properly, anymore and it wouldn't engage the shifter. When we backed it off, it worked.

anlauto

Sometimes the threads strip inside that knob cause more problems. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration