Main Menu

Shifter linkage issue

Started by Rosco234, April 30, 2020, 07:38:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rosco234

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to solve an issue I'm having with a new to me 71 challenger. This car has a 70 slapstick shifter in it.   I cannot get the shifter adjusted so that the car will hold first gear.   When i have it in first gear, it wont hold the gear. It will shift into second. Is there a trick to adjusting this?  Is there a difference between the 70 and 71 linkage? 
Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site From Panama  :wave:
Tthe linkage is the same , the shifter is different , I assume you are adjusting it with the slide d nut on the shift rod to the trans , , it is a very sensitive adjustment to get the shifter working correctly . when you shift up it should spring back slightly to release the detent allowing you to push forward again for the second shift . Are the bushings tight ?

headejm

:welcome: @Rosco234  Lots of knowledge on this site.

Does your shifter linkage on the inside of the car look like this? These photos are of a 1970 Challenger.

Rosco234

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 30, 2020, 07:46:16 PM
Welcome to the site From Panama  :wave:
Tthe linkage is the same , the shifter is different , I assume you are adjusting it with the slide d nut on the shift rod to the trans , , it is a very sensitive adjustment to get the shifter working correctly . when you shift up it should spring back slightly to release the detent allowing you to push forward again for the second shift . Are the bushings tight ?
The linkage looks to be in good shape. The bushing seems pretty tight. Maybe I need to be a bit more precise in my adjustments?  I tried adjusting and it would either not hold first gear or I would not have park when i adjust in the other direction.

Rosco234

I haven't removed the console at all so i don't no what the shifter looks like. I was trying to adjust underneath at the transmission.

Chryco Psycho

It is a very precise adjustment to get it right & loose bushings can cause havoc . I usually have 2 people 1 in the car & one under making minor adjustments & testing it .

Rosco234

I'll give it another go over the weekend. Thanks for the help.

Rosco234

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 30, 2020, 08:05:31 PM
It is a very precise adjustment to get it right & loose bushings can cause havoc . I usually have 2 people 1 in the car & one under making minor adjustments & testing it .
How tight should the bushing be?  It does move a bit but doesn't feel sloppy.

Chryco Psycho

You should be fine but there are 4 bushings upper & lower on the vertical shaft & the rod from the shifter has one on each end  , I would try it as is first anyway , it should not be sloppy but not tight  .

headejm

:alan2cents: With my linkage disconnected from the transmission, the linkage moves very easy at the console. Basically, zero resistance.

Rosco234

ok, I took another stab at this over the weekend without any success.  I'm loosening the adjustable swivel on the lower rod and trying to make slight adjustments to that.  I cannot find the middle ground.  I either have the ability to put it in park, but not have first gear.  Or if I adjust a tiny bit in the other direction, I cannot get it in park, but i have first gear.  The lower bushing on the torque shaft looks good.  There is no play there.  Is there supposed to be a bushing where the lower rod connects at the transmission?  I only have two washers and a cotter pin at that connection point and its seems like there is quite a bit of lateral play, but not much play in moving the rod forward and aft. 

Chryco Psycho

You may have the wrong lever on the transmission there are different levers for column or floor shift

Rosco234

After looking at a few diagrams, I don't think the issue is with the lower rod link at the transmission.  The diagram does show just two washers and a cotter pin and no bushing.  I'm starting to lean towards something with the actual shifter/shifter linkage under the console.  It seems like the shifter does not have enough range of motion to cover all the gear selections.  Does anyone know if you can adjust the actual travel of the shifter some how?  :thinking: :thinking:

Chryco Psycho

no the shifter is fixed distance so the lock outs align , I believe you have the wrong shift lever on the trans , this will alter the ratio between the shifter & the movement at the trans

Chryco Psycho

There have been pictures posted here of both levers , maybe some can post a picture with the differences , I don't have it sorry .