Main Menu

Shifter plate swap

Started by nsmall, June 18, 2017, 01:10:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Does anyone have any advice on how to get this top half of a slapstick shifter off?

I unscrewed one screw, but it's still hung up.

Trying to swap out the rusty shifter bezel.

Thanks in advance.

1 Wild R/T

Once you back the set screw off you need to unscrew the shifter ball.... Well actually the button.... But you spin the knob to unscrew the button....

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  It's threaded on.   :bigthumb:

nsmall

Man I love you guys.  Thanks, that was very easy!

nsmall

Sorry but I'm on the side of probably overthinking and over doing everything.

If this was your shifter would you try to get rid of all the rust and clean it up better, then put a light coat of paint (I'm assuming a little paint couldn't hurt) OR just grease it up and call it a day?

Thanks

Neil

This car is obviously always going to be garaged.

Chryco Psycho

Clean it light coat of paint & lube it up as long as the spring is working well

1 Wild R/T

Personally I'd be concerned about paint causing the slap stik function to bind....   lube & let it go... Or if your concerned about it soak it overnight in Evaporust then lube it & go...

Burdar

Like I said in your other post, soak it in EvapoRust then lube it up.  You've torn this car completely apart.  Don't just throw rusty/dirty parts back on it.  :alan2cents:

Just an FYI, 0000 steel wool works great at cleaning up parts.  If you use steel wool on that shifter bezel, I bet it would come out looking really good.  It won't scratch chrome and works really nice at cleaning metal after you've soaked it in EvapoRust.