Main Menu

should I rebuild Tranny

Started by tparker, September 10, 2020, 01:15:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Looking for thoughts. I have a 727 torque flight that has been sitting for close to 30 years. Much of that was in the car, not just outside or anything like that. Not sure what shape it's in, but I assume it's mostly OK. I will crack it open hopefully next week to see what the oil looks like.

In any case, just in case, is tearing it completely down and rebuilding a difficult job? I watched a tear down video and although there were lots of parts and steps, it looked manageable. But then so does everything on a video. LOL. I've always got it in my head that trannies were too difficult, leave it to someone that knows them.

On a side note, what does it typically cost to have a tranny rebuilt? A couple hundred is doable, more than that I start figuring out if I should do it myself

Scooter

Agree that disassembly and reassembly is manageable, most here could probably manage it.

My automatic transmission experience is slim, good chance I could miss an obvious defect though. 

If it's me, I'd pay someone to go through it.

I only want to have to install a transmission once... if given a choice.

GL

Katfish

It cost me $1k to rebuild my 518, that was a carry in.
727 can't be much lower, $800 at least, but that does include parts.
No idea what a standard rebuild kit cost.

And that didn't include a converter, bought that myself separately.
I didn't want to learn and time was limited, I believe you need some special tools also.

7212Mopar

Seems to me from watching the videos that adjusting and setting Tranny up correctly takes a lot of know how. So easy to miss the balls that rolls around in the valve body. I won't mind learning if someone teaches me from tear down to reassemble.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

JonH

It is not that hard. I have done it, but I like a challenge. If you think it is in working condition all you need to do is replace the clutch discs, bands, and seals. Get a good manual, and set aside a day or 2 to do it quickly, that way you can remember how it came apart. The satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself AND saved some $$ is well worth it. Isn't this what the "hobby" is all about? Go for it. What's the worst thing that can happen? No special tools as I recall, just need to be a little inventive to disassemble the clutch packs.....

Chryco Psycho

I would say do it , there is a couple of steps where you need a press ,Having said that I was alway troubled by the fact that no one could build a tranny no matter how much you paid so my friend pushed me into doing them & learning it & as stated above they are not too hard to do , adding shift kits & modifying the governor was cool !
SO I built maybe 1/2 dozen with good results then I built one it didn't last a block , ok so I rebuild it at my cost & I had a Chrysler trans tech friend help me go through it as I had missed something , installed it again & it didn't make it 1 block now I am frustrated because I have to pay a pro to build it out of my pocket so I have made nothing just on the first 2 tried & I am going to be upside down on build 3  :Thud:
SO I talked to the customer & he had a good heart & became one of my best friends . He knew I was not rich & was at a loss already so he picked up the tab for build 3 thankfully , turns out the pump was bad & I had not way to test it , the pressure was too low even with the pressure increased the pump could not make the needed pressure .
That was the last auto  trans I ever built , I quickly realized I didn't have enough tools & equipment to do them correctly & financially I would be upside down extremely quickly .
Having said that why not try it yourself , your time is free & it should work out OK !
  I have only ever seen 1 727 built correctly in my life & I didn't build it . If you held you foot to the floor it would shift exactly at redline in drive so you didn't have to shift it at all just hold your foot to the floor , if you wanted it to shift earlier just lift a hair on the throttle & bang you are in the next gear , Absolutely perfect !! I got close with a couple I built but I never got the governor set 100% so it would shit exactly at redline .

tparker

Thanks. I'm glad a few of you said it was doable. No doubt there are lots of parts and steps, but there are plenty of vids and of course I would vid the whole thing so I don't end up with extra parts at the end :) Maybe not the same level of diffculty, but it wasn't a problem rebuilding the steering column following Cody's vid. Who knows how that would have ended up had that video not been available. Thanks @Cuda Cody.

Cudajason

Quote from: tparker on September 11, 2020, 09:46:01 AM
Thanks. I'm glad a few of you said it was doable. No doubt there are lots of parts and steps, but there are plenty of vids and of course I would vid the whole thing so I don't end up with extra parts at the end :) Maybe not the same level of diffculty, but it wasn't a problem rebuilding the steering column following Cody's vid. Who knows how that would have ended up had that video not been available. Thanks @Cuda Cody.

I just recently rebuilt a A500 trans for my cuda and I had never opened up a trans before them.

Now I have not started the motor yet, so no guarantees that the trans works, but I am pretty sure it will.

I agree it is a very complex unit and there are lots of parts.  To be honest it is still a bit of a mystery at how it all works, but it is pretty cool seeing all the parts and how they all go together.

There is a great video series on rebuilding a A518 which is very similar to the 727.  I can attached a link if you are interested.

I figured it was worth a shot at trying to do it myself.  Its about the only think on the car I had not touched.

Good luck!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

tparker

Go ahead and post it. I have a few for the 727, but someone might find that tranny vid useful

Cudajason

Quote from: tparker on September 14, 2020, 02:44:31 PM
Go ahead and post it. I have a few for the 727, but someone might find that tranny vid useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hyk_yavD8g

here you go man...this is the best video series I found on rebuilding a transmission.  This should work for a 727 outside of the OD Unit.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.