Main Menu

slap stick

Started by chargerdon, January 26, 2020, 12:28:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

Just rechecked mine...   do not know what month my Challenger was made.   The label on the door for date of mfg simply shows a 0.

Secondly, i was wrong,  rechecked and once you depress the button you can then pull the stick from P to R or N...from there without the button you can pull it into D.   Then to go further 2 and 1 you have to depress the button...  What is interesting is that once pulled back then entire way to 1 and you release it..it just of course sits there.   Push it forward and it will go to as far as N...  but then to engage R or P you have to push the button.   

Also, once you pull it with button the entire way to 1 and release, then lightly push forward there will be an audible click...  But no lockout after that click either...i.e you can push without button the entire way to N.   

dodj

My initial thought is to remove it, clean it and lubricate it.
Then see how it works.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

gzig5

These are pics from my 73 that show the slap stik gate.  In the first it is stuck in the down position and didn't function properly.  In the second it is in the normal up position and after clean and lube, works great.  You need to look at the shifter to see what you have.  Could have been messed with or just be dirty like mine was/is. I have a video of it functioning that I'll email if someone knows how to host it.

318Stroker

Quote from: gzig5 on January 28, 2020, 07:59:39 AM
These are pics from my 73 that show the slap stik gate.  In the first it is stuck in the down position and didn't function properly.  In the second it is in the normal up position and after clean and lube, works great.  You need to look at the shifter to see what you have.  Could have been messed with or just be dirty like mine was/is. I have a video of it functioning that I'll email if someone knows how to host it.

When I put my Challenger back on the road, my slap stick wasn't working properly. When you put it in 1st and slapped it, it went all the way to neutral. Not good! After a good clean and lube, it works properly.

318Stroker

Quote from: dodj on January 28, 2020, 07:59:05 AM
My initial thought is to remove it, clean it and lubricate it.
Then see how it works.

:iagree: Same thing mine was doing before a clean and lube.

chargerdon

SHOOT !!   Took out my shifter mechanism...   THERE IS NO slap stik gate with spring as in the pictures.   So without that there is no way that it is going to do the slap stik function !

The only number on mine is 46383 that i cannot find in the 73 Parts catalog that i downloaded from this site.   

In that 73 parts catalog on page 566 it shows the Illustrated page for ONE of the two possible shifter systems.  That shifter is a round ball type, and on bottom of page it says with console for V, L cars (valiant and dart).   On that diagram it lists the main part as "plate" 21-30-407 could not find the part number. 

On next page 567 is illustrates the shifter with T handle and says at bottom of page Barracuda challenger coronet and satellite.  There the illustration calls the main body of the shift mechanism an Actuator 21-30-407 or part number 6029 782.  While it doesn't illustrate the quick shift plate, if you blow up the illustration you can see the quick shift plate and spring. 

So, my conclusion is that the Barracuda and Challenger were supposed to have the T handle and quick shift mechanism, and the round handle was for the A bodies and did not have that function.   Somewhere along the line mine must have been changed out.  Darn

Anyone have the shifter with the quick shift plate and spring in it that can help me out here.   I cannot afford to to spend the $300-400 that you see the shifters listed for on ebay.    I believe that it would be possible to take just the shifter mechanism and take out that plate and spring and put it into mine !!

Just now downloaded the 74 parts catalog from MYMopar.   In it it ONLY illustrates the round ball shifter...maybe for 74 they quit making the T-handle... and the quick shift.    Yet my 74 challenger owners manual describes the "rapid shift" mechanism.   

Anybody got a quick shift shifter they can spare ? 

Burdar

1970 used the round ball shift knob but it still had the slap stick feature.  Sometime in 74 they went back to the round ball shift knob and still had the slap stick function.  Very early in 1970 E-body production, the I don't think the shift plate said anything.  Then it was switched to "shift gate" and finally "slap stick".  Your shifter must have been switched out at some point. 

dodj

As I said before. My '74 shifter is the round ball and is a slap stick......
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Dmod1974

For what it's worth, my 74 Challenger also had the round ball shifter and Slap Stik functionality.

gzig5

I may have a spare slap stick in my pile of parts.  I will try to check when I get home this weekend.

chargerdon

That would be great...  PM me with info if you can find it...  Also, since mine is the ball type, that is the type i would need, tho, i could probably swap the shift rod.   

Thanks !!

Burdar

I think you really only need the slap stick mechanism.  Hopefully you can use the shift handle/linkage you already have.  The black plastic "slide" inside the chrome housing is different between a T handle and a round ball.  The T handle has a rectangular shaft and the round ball has a round shaft.  The hole in the "slide" is rectangular or round respectively.

If you can post a picture of your current setup, we should be able to tell if you can reuse everything but the mechanism.

chargerdon

Sure..   Looking at pictures and of mine.   One of the differences is the selector shaft itself.   Mine is round like the ball, whereas the T-handle type is rectangular.   

So, since I DO NOT have the T-handle to go with, I would need either the round ball round shaft type.   If i got a rectangular t-handle type i would need to either dissemble and move the quick shift gate and spring into mine,  or replace the rectangular shift shaft with my round one.   I am assuming that can be done.   

anlauto

Is that yours pictured above ? That is NOT an E Body shifter :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chargerdon

yes, that is what is in my car !!  It looks like it simply is missing the spring and the slap stick plate !   Part number is different from those i have seen advertised as slap stik shifters...