Main Menu

Small Block LA - Poor Distributor-to-Distributor Drive Engagement

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, September 05, 2018, 07:27:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoodysGotaCuda

I have a new mystery with my 360. I did a cam swap and put the same distributor and distributor/oil pump drive gear back in.

Unless I have the distributor really tightened down, I can spin the rotor by hand...which makes for a problem when I'm trying to set timing.

Can you think of a corrective action? Try a new distributor? Do I need an aftermarket distributor drive?
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

RUNCHARGER

Not a smallblock guy but did the distributor drive bushing come out?
Sheldon

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 05, 2018, 07:37:47 PM

It's in there, saw it when I primed the oil pump before dropping the gear in. I believe they're in the block pretty good.

I did change the oring on the distributor but I can't see that being the issue. I left it tightened down for 48h, thinking that would let the oring set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Bullitt-

The gear drive is limited by the bushing in the block & the distributor blade that engages the drive goes well down in the slot so I cannot see this being an issue...
One thought, we had a 90's  v6 Dakota that had a broken distributor shaft(I was told my the mechanic) that would still run fine most of the time.....
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Cudakiller70

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on September 05, 2018, 07:45:08 PM

I did change the oring on the distributor but I can't see that being the issue. I left it tightened down for 48h, thinking that would let the oring set.

I too just did a cam change. The intake kit (340 motor) came with a new distributor o ring. The distributor would not go all the way down so I put the old O ring back on.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on September 05, 2018, 10:00:43 PM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on September 05, 2018, 07:45:08 PM

I too just did a cam change. The intake kit (340 motor) came with a new distributor o ring. The distributor would not go all the way down so I put the old O ring back on.

I actually found my old o-ring on the bench and will go ahead and swap it back out  :thinking:
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

73_Cuda_4_Me

When you say you can turn the rotor by hand, are you referring to the actual rotor and shaft, or are you saying you can rotate the housing of the dizzy in the block bore when it's clamped???

It sounds like you are talking about the housing, but spinning rotor by hand is completely different issue...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on September 06, 2018, 06:31:37 AM
When you say you can turn the rotor by hand, are you referring to the actual rotor and shaft, or are you saying you can rotate the housing of the dizzy in the block bore when it's clamped???

It sounds like you are talking about the housing, but spinning rotor by hand is completely different issue...

Rotor and shaft. Like the shaft isn't engaged in the drive gear. Housing is fixed.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Burdar

Double check that the bushing is in the block....just in case it came out with your priming tool.  They are supposed to be in the block tight but not all of them are.

Also check to make sure the collar on the under side of the distributor is still there.  Some are plastic and can break.  That would allow the distributor shaft to lift up.

anlauto

Is the internal distributor shaft able to move up and down (or in and out) of the distributor housing ? There's usually a plastic retainer/pin type thing at the bottom, is that still intact ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

QuoteAlso check to make sure the collar on the under side of the distributor is still there.  Some are plastic and can break.  That would allow the distributor shaft to lift up.

QuoteIs the internal distributor shaft able to move up and down (or in and out) of the distributor housing ? There's usually a plastic retainer/pin type thing at the bottom, is that still intact ?

Is there an echo in here?  :P

anlauto

Oh....I didn't read that far down.... :headbang:  I guess great minds think alike :brainiac:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

73_Cuda_4_Me

:iagree:

My guess is that the pin came out of the collar that holds the shaft in place, allowing it to rise and disengage from the drive slot in the pump drive shaft...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

jimynick

The easy way to check that would be to push down on the rotor and try to rotate it, if it's in the drive gear it shouldn't turn I would think.  :huh:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

GoodysGotaCuda

Pulled the new oring out and put the old back in, good to go!

Thanks all. Watch those orings

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs