Main Menu

Small block on engine stand backwards

Started by Crash520, December 09, 2017, 10:44:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Crash520

Guys, would you think I could hang a small block with crank installed off an engine stand by the front of the block?? We always hang it by the bellhousing bolts normally but I want to hang the bellhousing to dial in the offset dowl pins
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Cuda Cody

I've never tried it.  Could you just set the offset dowel pins while it's off the engine stand?

Dakota

Greg - I'm having trouble picturing what you would use as mounting points if you're bolting the front side of the motor to an engine stand.  I haven't gone out and looked at my motor, but every spot I can think of would involve threading into something on the face of the motor rather than going through a hole like you can on the backside (and yes, I get nervous any time I'm using a lifting plate bolted in where the carb is mounted).  When I installed my bellhousing offset pins, the engine was in the K member sitting on the floor, but the motor could've just as easily been dropped on a couple of old tires, maybe held upright by keeping the engine lift connected.   

I'm not saying your proposed approach is a crazy idea - it's just something that I've not come across before.

BTW - it's MUCH easier to do the measurements for the offset pins using a small face (1 inch diameter) dial indicator. 

dodj

Not that I've done it, but I'm thinking you would have to make a plate that bolted up to the timing chain cover holes then attach the engine stand arms to the plate? :notsure:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

I wouldn't. I would fab up a box cradle using 2X8 wood to run along the pan rails to steady the assembly. Then I would use an engine hoist to lower the assembly into the cradle. I would leave the engine hoist hooked up for extra safety while setting up the runout.
I just did this one hanging on the chain with some wood under the pan but building a cradle would only take a few minutes.
Sheldon

Crash520

Thanks guys, yeah I'm nervous about bolting the engine stand onto the front of the block, I think I've worked out another solution 👍👍👍, thanks Dakota, I have a DTI set up on the back of the crank to inside the oil pump housing recess on the trans housing.
Greg
Brisbane
Australia