Main Menu

Son's 2007 Jeep Liberty Question

Started by Daveh, April 08, 2018, 07:41:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

I know not an e-body question but it's for my son and you all have helped out in the past. So thanks in advance.   :thankyou:

My son has a 2007 Jeep Liberty (V6).  It has 130,000 miles on it and has run for years with no major issues.  He called and said the serpentine belt was shredded.  It was only 2 years old.  I took over a new one put it in and it started and ran fine while I was there.  He went out later and drove about 20 miles and it threw the belt and began to overheat. 

The only thing I can think of is that idler pulley belt tensioner or just the idler pulley is just worn out.  I can't see any other reason to throw the belt since the car has been fine for so long.  Do you think that's what it is or am I overlooking something?  What is your guess?  Thanks

Dave

RUNCHARGER

Not familiar with the vehicle but it could be the waterpump bearing as well.
Sheldon

Bullitt-

I've had a couple of tensioners needed replaced down through the years
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2007,liberty,3.7l+v6,1433762,belt+drive,belt+tensioner,11659

Issue would show up when the A/C was engaged I seem to recall
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Brads70

:iagree:  My son had a 2005 Liberty and we replaced the bearing inside the A/C clutch . Sounds like a bearing somewhere has gone bad? AC, tensioner, water pump, power steering...

Daveh

I was able to look at it in the light last night and the water pump pulley was extremely loose.  So that looks to be the culprit.  I'll swap that out tonight and hopefully no other damage occurred because he drove it while it was overheating back to his apartment without the belt.  But the engine never shut down so that's a good sign.  Update you after I fix it. 

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Daveh on April 10, 2018, 06:00:13 AM

Update you after I fix it.

He's not gonna learn if you bail him out.... Show him how but don't fix it for him.... He needs to understand what was a minor repair may well have become a mojor repair because of his actions.... He clearly knew there was an issue & drove it anyway....