Main Menu

Spal elect fans

Started by cordodge, March 10, 2019, 06:48:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on March 10, 2019, 05:17:15 PM
Quote from: dodj on March 10, 2019, 04:08:43 PM
I'm with Runcharger. Hard to beat the simplicity, effectiveness and reliability of the clutch fan and shroud.

Going electric fans gives you more equipment to fail in the engine compartment. Maybe more alternator, maybe bigger wires, relays, two electric motors and a temp sensor for the fans.

Clutch fan? The only thing that can fail is the clutch.

Just my  :alan2cents:

Sure, from only looking through blinders with pure reliability, that argument does work quite well. However, the probability of a properly installed efan failing isn't necessarily high.

clutch fans do consume quite a bit of power and make noise 100% of the time, rather than just when you need it. I like being able to work around the engine a bit easier, I can kick up the fan speed when the a/c is on for better cooling and I can blaze down the highway without wasting any more energy than I need do.

I can see both sides of each fan preference. My Warlock has a clutch fan, the truck is used very limitedly and just needs to function. The 'Cuda is a bit of a different animal.
But Goody, you are engineer. Engineers aren't happy unless you have every gizmo known to man attached to a piece of equipment..... :pokeeye:   More features...more better...right? LOL

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Strawdawg

I run twin 11" Spals on one of my Buicks.  Been on there for about 20 years. I have it wired to run one normally, and two if the A/C is on.  They are quality fans and worth the price.

The downside is that they pull over 20 amps when running, and over 30 when starting.  That means, on an old car, you gotta have a good alternator with enough output to drive them.  Any electric fan(s) that pull near 3000 cfm will pull over 20 amps when put behind a radiator.  Often you see fans rated at high rpm with low amps and you should know these were tested with a low head pressure and you should expect more when mounted close to a radiator.

They are great where there is little clearance, but, as others have said, a stock fan/shroud will actually pull more air.  If the factory set up runs a bit hot in traffic, you probably need the HD or the XHD Hayden clutch that locks up harder at low rpm and pulls more air at low speed.
Steve