Main Menu

Speedometer gears

Started by edison1970, May 21, 2020, 03:10:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

edison1970

Disassembled a few 4 speeds this month. Is it common to have the speedometer gear distorted or destroyed?  I've only taken a half dozen or so apart over my lifetime and the last  2 were really bad. Also, I found replacements on Amazon for $27 if anyone needs any.

RUNCHARGER

Maybe not set correctly. Dang things are expensive now.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I have rarely seen gears that worn , could be wrong oil used or the drive not clocked / positioned with correct mesh

Burdar

I think there are a lot of people that don't realize the housing needs to be clocked correctly depending on the gear used.  If I had to put money on it, that's what I would bet on.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chargerdon

Quote from: anlauto on May 22, 2020, 06:06:26 AM
Maybe a seized cable ?

yep...those actual gears are plastic, and the gear in tranny is metal.   If the cable seizes while your driving the car (like too close to a header pipe) then something has to give...  and that something is the plastic gear !!   Had it happen to me once..   

headejm

The clocking is important.

edison1970

All good points. One thing I always forget is the last 2 I took apart are from 1968 and 69. Not bad for 50+years.

anlauto

Thanks for posting this thread....I've learned that they are available on Amazon which is great :veryexcited:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Bossgold

Brewer's Performance sells them as well

anlauto

Well I knew Brewers has them, I buy all my 4 speed stuff from them, I was just amazed that they are on Amazon as well :twothumbsup:

headejm

Last time I checked, Brewers had a large stash of used speedo gears at a much lower price than new. I bought mine from them and it was perfect.  :ohyeah:

edison1970

I've bought a lot from brewers.  I was a little disappointed the last time. I felt they gouged me on the freight.  Mailed it to me in a padded envelope and charged me almost $20. Nothing but clips and small hardware. Lucky if it cost $3 to ship.  That's why I went to Amazon this time. Same gears at half the price landed at my door.