Main Menu

Starter relay?

Started by rdf, July 27, 2020, 05:58:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

rdf

Is it necessary to have a starter relay?  I believe this is the starter I have:
http://store.440source.com/Premium-Light-Weight-High-Torque-Mini-Starter/productinfo/123%2D1000/

But I'm not 100% sure because I can't find the receipt.  I had it on the 360 when it was in the car but since I gutted everything and went with a 440, I'm wondering if it's really needed?
If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

73_Cuda_4_Me

Yes, you still need a starter relay...

The starter draws significant amperage that would burn out a normal ignition switch/wiring...

The starter relay allows low current activation of an extremely high current starter, and is rated for all the amps the starter will draw...

It's the same with electric cooling fans that recommend using relays to power them... low switching current activating contacts rated for high current fan draw...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Dakota

I'm going to say yes, you need to use a relay for the starter.  Cranking the starter draws a lot of current.   The alternative is that the key switch will take that electrical load.  It is not designed for it and would likely fail quickly.

RUNCHARGER

Yes, relay needed with the stock key starter switch.
Sheldon

rdf

Ok, understood, thank you for the help...does anyone have a diagram of what belongs on each post?
If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

Burdar

rdf