Main Menu

stroker kits

Started by GoMangoBoys, January 06, 2020, 07:45:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I would love to hear some recommendations on stroker kits for our 383.
I have read options to go from 383 to 432, 452?  496?

I have to believe that "bigger is not always better", so what are the tradeoffs with going to the larger displacements?

Can someone recommend some places that sell good kits?

My engine shop recommended the Scat kits, but I am really not seeing a lot there.

I am thinking I would like to go with forged pistons.

Thank you.

RUNCHARGER

This is a good page and I think their kits are good for the money. I like the 3.9 stroke but they don't list them.
I like longer rods for less side wall loading. Personally I don't like too short of a piston or the piston pin being in the ring land so I would not go with a 4.25 stroke kit.

http://store.440source.com/Stroker-Kits/products/3/
Sheldon

GoMangoBoys

What displacement does the 3.9 stroke yield?

RUNCHARGER

444 rather than 426 for the 3.75. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
Sheldon

GCragtop

440 Source kits are good, go their 496 kit and build a nice torque monster with stock appearance. Dont worry too much about short piston. Their kits use forged pistons from Icon.

Chryco Psycho

I agree with above , going to 432 is an awesome pkg , long rods & good rod ratio with taller pistons , once you go much further the oil ring is over the wrist pin & IMO you have a race engine .
I also agree with 440 Source , I have used a lot of their kits with no issues

Todd489

I'm using the 496 stroker on my car, bought the kit from muscle motors,. IMO Don't let the bigger kit scare you, I had mine for over 5 years and put over 20,000 hard miles on it! I have it apart now, just to change the cam, inside the motor looks perfect!! No premature wearing at all! I say go big!! I know someone else with the same kit as mine and has 70,000 +miles on it without ever tearing the engine down!! Just my 2c

76orangewagon

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on January 06, 2020, 07:45:52 PM

My engine shop recommended the Scat kits, but I am really not seeing a lot there.

Just curious....What shop are you using ? Being a neighbor from Akron I ended up using CAMS (Canton Automotive Machine Shop) there not cheap but very good. 

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 06, 2020, 07:50:47 PM
This is a good page and I think their kits are good for the money. I like the 3.9 stroke but they don't list them.
I like longer rods for less side wall loading. Personally I don't like too short of a piston or the piston pin being in the ring land so I would not go with a 4.25 stroke kit.

http://store.440source.com/Stroker-Kits/products/3/

3.915 is listed as 470 CI with the 400 bore....

I have one of their 4.25 kits.... Makes 505 CI & it usually drops in with no clearance issues at all...

GoMangoBoys

I am in Copley (west of Akron).  The engine shop I use is Gregs Engine and Machine on Jacoby Rd in Copley.  330-666-3077.  Very good people.  Owner is Terry.

GoMangoBoys

A couple of people suggested the 496 kits.  Are there more clearance issues if you go with the 496 instead of the 432?

Todd489

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on February 20, 2020, 04:51:15 PM
A couple of people suggested the 496 kits.  Are there more clearance issues if you go with the 496 instead of the 432?
I have the 496 /383 only clearance thing was notching bottom of cylinders were connecting rod bolts came close too, very little material had to be removed, very easy to do👍