Main Menu

Sugar in tank & valve train

Started by hato, October 08, 2017, 02:36:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

hato

So I recently found out my father poured sugar in the gas tank and down the oil fill in my challenger besides a full top half tear down anything else should I clean / take apart as I seen they obvousily wanted me to hurt the car.

Spikedog08

Hmmm that was nice of him . . Never understood why anyone would hurt someone's car?  Sorry this happened to you . . .

:thumbdown:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Roadman

Wow, that sucks. I'm assuming you didn't start, I hope.  :bricks:

hato

Haven't started yet seen sugar around the k member and  inner fender then started detective work. Sucks cause am cross country moving so just gonna move to my friends shop an work on it slowly

Cudakiller70

What a sweet guy. Best to flush all fluids. Any in your master cylinder? Power steering, battery, trans if auto?

Topcat

Man that really sucks!

Vandalism is a punishable law. Yet he's your Dad.  :dunno:

Pull the tank out might be a good idea and solvent clean out then air out with compressed air.

Hope things get better for you.

Brads70

:o  Wow sorry to hear this ! I don't know what to say.......
I'd just pull off the valve cover to see how far it got. Drain the gas tank and flush it out obviously.

cuda hunter

Quote from: Brads70 on October 08, 2017, 04:33:51 PM
I'd just pull off the valve cover to see how far it got. Drain the gas tank and flush it out obviously.

:iagree:

punch him in the mouth. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Roadman

Quote from: cuda hunter on October 08, 2017, 05:42:47 PM

punch him in the mouth.

:iagree:   more than once.    :rebelflag"

Katfish

Had to look this up, surprising

For some reason, there's a common rumor about sugar and gas that's been around for decades. Supposedly, if you pour sugar into someone's gas tank, you will disable the car. The sugar is supposed to react with the gasoline and turn into a semi-solid, gooey substance that totally clogs up the gas tank, the fuel lines, and so on.­

It sounds great, especially if you have a grudge against someone. The problem with this rumor is that it simply isn't true. As it turns out, sugar doesn't dissolve in gasoline. Pouring sand into the gas tank would have about the same effect as pouring in sugar. The sand or sugar might clog up the filter, and that could disable the car, but it's not a sure thing.

Chryco Psycho

redgum78

:o  Wow sorry to hear this ! I don't know what to say.......

I agree. I have never seen the result first hand but I am told it is really only an issue once it reaches your carb or efi system. Might be a bit abrasive in an engine?

Has anyone else ever had to deal with this first hand?

dodj

Quote from: Katfish on October 08, 2017, 06:05:20 PM
Had to look this up, surprising

For some reason, there's a common rumor about sugar and gas that's been around for decades. Supposedly, if you pour sugar into someone's gas tank, you will disable the car. The sugar is supposed to react with the gasoline and turn into a semi-solid, gooey substance that totally clogs up the gas tank, the fuel lines, and so on.­

It sounds great, especially if you have a grudge against someone. The problem with this rumor is that it simply isn't true. As it turns out, sugar doesn't dissolve in gasoline. Pouring sand into the gas tank would have about the same effect as pouring in sugar. The sand or sugar might clog up the filter, and that could disable the car, but it's not a sure thing.
But sand poured on your valve train is still pretty bad.
IMO. You should pull the head or maybe just the valve cover and vacuum. Depends what it looks like? Drop the tank cuz you have no idea how much is in there.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

61K T/A

Do un to others as others have done un to you.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 61K T/A on October 09, 2017, 05:47:10 AM
Do un to others as others have done un to you.

I don't think your quote is correct....  But if that is the plan forget sugar, use diesel.... Diesel plugs automotive fuel injectors cause it won't pass through the pintle... Eight new injectors + diagnostics & labor to install = payback....