Main Menu

Supporting Motor with out the Transmission

Started by Cudajason, August 23, 2020, 01:22:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

CRAPPPPP! 

I went to install the transmission today...and my car is not up high enough.

I have the motor supported by a 2x4 on jack stands.

Any thoughts on how I support the motor while I jack the car up a little higher???  Can I just jack it up then raise the motor up after???

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

GoodysGotaCuda

Ratchet strap across the rails or torsion bars with blocks under the oil pan. Done deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Scooter

Quote from: Cudajason on August 23, 2020, 01:22:12 PM
CRAPPPPP! 

I went to install the transmission today...and my car is not up high enough.

I have the motor supported by a 2x4 on jack stands.

Any thoughts on how I support the motor while I jack the car up a little higher???  Can I just jack it up then raise the motor up after???

Jason

You could raise it a bit at a time.. then add 2x4's as you go up. Just watch out for over stressing the motor mounts.

I've run a 4x4 across the inner fenders in the engine compartment and used a motorcycle strap to hold the back of the block.

GL & be careful!!

YellowThumper

Another vote (as I have done this) is 2x4 or 4x4 across the fender lips and a ratchet strap. I used 2. One on each exh manifold. You are not lifting it. Only stabilizing what is already mounted. Be wary of too much up and down as you can then damage the rad shroud with fan moving up and down. Fulcrum.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

I second the ratchet strap across the t-bars supporting the back of the engine.
Sheldon

Rich G.

If the distributor is out and the front end is in just wrap a rag around the center link and it will rest on that. I've done that many times.

Cudajason

Thanks Guys,

I just jacked it up a bit by bit and supported the rear of the engine with additional 2x4s as I went.  I got it up just high enough to get the trans under the car!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.