Main Menu

Swapping out a 318/904 for a 360/727. Have some questions.

Started by MarctheDrifter, February 11, 2018, 05:10:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MarctheDrifter

My '72 Challenger currently has a 318/904, and the engine is total garbage from sitting outside for years. My buddy is offering his 360/727 out of an old Dodge he's scrapping.  I'm pretty new to Mopars (and automatics), so I'm not sure what parts swap over or what other parts I'll have to order/find. I know I'll need a new driveshaft, but for the crossmember/linkages/whatever else, what can swap over from the 904 to the 727? My car has the floor mounted shifter if that matters, and I'm not concerned at all about keeping anything original.

Any help is appreciated.

:help:

1 Wild R/T

Keep the kick down thats on the 360/727, use the shift linkage thats with the car, trans crossmember & mount stays the same... Trans cooler lines on the 904 will work on the 727...Drivers side engine mount bracket is different, you can either get the right one or use washers to fill the gaps... Brackets & pulleys along with accessories you can use the parts on the Challenger...  Driveshaft is 3" shorter yours can be cut, but you'll need the correct slider yoke... Which can come from the donor, it may of may not be the same width, if not a adapter U joint is available to connect things...

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:

Depending what exhaust manifolds are on the 360 & what the 360 is being removed from they may not work in the Challenger , the 318 manifolds are smaller port so are not the best choice for the 360 , you may need a solution

72 Challenger

You never mentioned which vehicle the 360/ 727 is coming from. Not all transmission tail housing's are the same. Trucks have a shorter housing.

Other than that listen to @Chryco Psycho he helped me through my swap in my previous 1974 Challenger.

For the drivers side engine mount gap I used a cut down alternator spacer, it looks better than a stack of uneven washers. I am sure you could use any piece of steel pipe.

It's a fairly easy task to be quite honest.
Someday I will have a J0b.

MarctheDrifter

The 360 is coming out of a '68 Dodge A100 Van. I'm not 100% sure the exact year, but it's that body style. The engine had been replaced before with a terrible smog-era 360, but I'll put some go-fast bits on it to fix that.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I've got a lot more confidence going into this now. 

Shane Kelley

That transmission may be a issue for a couple reasons. May be wrong tail shaft and the other problem is the mounting ears (see pic) for the floor shift linkage may not be present. I have fabricated the bracket so it bolts up with 2 of the trans pan bolts. But something to look for.

cataclysm80

The other comments have this topic pretty well covered, but I also wanted to mention that if the 360 has a rear sump oil pan like is used in trucks, then you'll need a center sump oil pan and oil pickup tube.

The 318 oil pan won't fit a 360.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: cataclysm80 on February 12, 2018, 10:29:43 PM
The other comments have this topic pretty well covered, but I also wanted to mention that if the 360 has a rear sump oil pan like is used in trucks, then you'll need a center sump oil pan and oil pickup tube.

The 318 oil pan won't fit a 360.

Good point, but again not a hard part to find.....