Main Menu

Switching from 383-440 engine mounts

Started by 70RTSE383, April 07, 2019, 11:53:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70RTSE383

I am building a 440 for my 70' Challenger. It came with a 383 originally. What do I need to do about engine mounts and the K member? I will be using factory ac and have all 383 and 440 brackets as both engines came with ac. Anything else I need that is different from the 383. I'm using everything I can from the 383 such as heads (fresh) water pump, and housing etc.
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

6bblgt

engine brackets & motor mounts are the same

K-member mounts are the same,
..... but 440 would've had a protective skid plate because of the deeper oil pan (440/six pack/HEMI) VS. "402" for the 383 (both oil pans will work & you can buy the skid plate if you want to add it)

some of the brackets that hold the A/C compressor are different between the 440 & 383

exhaust manifolds are the same 383 4bbl VS. 440, but exhaust head pipes are a little longer for the 440 - your 383 pipes might work??? :wrenching:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

You can get away with using the stock 383 oil pan too....but as pointed out....More is better when it comes to oil. :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70RTSE383

Thanks very much for the info. The mounts and K member were my biggest concerns. Although the aftermarket exhaust is in good shape I am going to replace with headers and 2.5" exhaust with " moderate" mufflers. The one on it is just too quiet for a muscle car and is 2 1/4". I will replace oil pan with larger Hemi type and likely skid plate. Also windage tray if it doesn't have one on the 383.
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

headejm

Factory 383 HP should have a windage tray.  :ohyeah: