Main Menu

The beauty and the beast - oil pan gasket problem

Started by blown motor, April 24, 2022, 12:23:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jimynick

"I'm a former gasket applications engineer from a major company".  And I'm not here to argue with you, but there is no metal core in this gasket. It's got embedded metal rings around the bolt holes and that's it. We also hammered the bolt hole area of the pan as close to flat as possible AND gave it a small bead of Ultra Black in a belt and braces attempt to stop the SOB from leaking.  :bye:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

MOPAR MITCH

I was unaware that the special gasket in question did not have a metal core... as there are some, typically, with that integrated design.  Possibly, the metal grommets are thicker than the rubber gasket rails... allowing insufficient gasket squeeze... (rubber is not compressible... it is deformable... and if squeezed too much it will split apart... if not squeezed enough it will allow fluid seepage).  A general rule of thumb for rubber gaskets is that they should be squeezed no more than approximately 1/3 of their unsqueezed thickness.

jimynick

There, I learned something today! Good info and thanks for sharing!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

B5fourspeed

I went with cork gaskets with the windage tray and I have no leaks.Just a light coat of gasket sealer on each side.