Main Menu

The right pulley belts that won't slip

Started by Topcat, December 08, 2017, 07:38:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

Initially, I broke in my Hemi using the reproduction belts that are available.
Belt tension is correct.

Well what I found out is those are really for Trailer queens that never get driven hard.

They didn't last very long.  :Thud:
The repro's stretch horribly and break off eventually.

You can definitely tell looking at the repro's, that they do fit into the pulley groove well.
These new belts, the V is too wide so they don't get 100% grip into the pulley

One day I saw generator belts that had the narrow V and it seemed maybe that may be the best to try.
I don't believe that using belt band aid grip is the answer. I want the right belts that grip and never slip.

Who makes the best performance belts that fit right and last?

cudabob496

72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

dodj

I have had good luck with Gates brand v-belts. I have never had one wear out to where it is slipping noticeably. I have only changed them because I think, 'Hmmmm, those have been on a long time, better change them'. This is on a 440.

But maybe check your pulleys too. If the 'V' has worn to a different profile, you will chew up belts rather quickly and you will have a tough time getting anything to grip well.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

quapman

I've noticed that a lot of parts store V-belts are now lawn mower/equipment belts and made in Asia. Advance seems to still have the narrow, "normal" ones.

Jim AAR

I have used the Goodyear Gatorback V-Belt on the Alternator on my 340-6 pack and have never had any slippage, it`s been on there for years and about 5000 miles, i have never really had to adjust it, except for after the first few hundred miles and nothing since.

Not the original styleélooking belt, but unless your showing it, does it really matter. if you put it in a show, just put the OEM style belt back on.

Goodyear Gatorback V-Belts 15481

Belt, Gatorback, V-Belt, 7/16 in. Width, 47.50 in. Length, $15.36 CDN Each from Summit Racing

RUNCHARGER

I've had good luck with the Goodyear Gatorbacks as well, they do not look good but they function well.
Sheldon