Main Menu

Thermostat added, new temperature reading

Started by Husk Challenger, April 14, 2018, 11:30:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Husk Challenger

Hi guys,

I noticed my car which come from Arizona didn't have thermostat in the cooling system.
So i added a new thermostat Gates 195°F. (I tested it, and did a small hole in it)

On my first test drive, after 10 miles the needle of the  temp of the gauge was at 1/2 until 3/4.
Without thermostat i was always at the bottom of the gauge just upper the first lines.

I stopped and checked under the hood. No leak, but my upper radiator hose was hard.
Yesterday i was worring about a bad air purge of the system, so i did it again (Heat control on into the car, cap removed of the radiator, running while 15minutes at least, but it was too late for a test drive)....but after a short night maybe i am worring for nothing about the temperature that my gauge is showing?

So upon to you, do i have to worry about the hard hose or the new operationg temperature ?

My radiator is a 26" Champion aluminium, 0.9bar (13 lbs) cap.

Thanks

Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

WCC

Does your car run any differently? If it is running hot it will be very noticeable when driving.

Are you using the stock gauge to check the temp? Typically I have found those gauges aren't that accurate and I would suggest you get an aftermarket one. Mine is mounted, together with RPM and oil pressure gauges under the console, discreetly out of sight but where I can still easily see them when driving.

Jay Bee

Just for reference, here's a picture I saved from a rallye dash gauge.

blown motor

@Jay Bee Is your digital temp gauge a temperature gun? Where did you take the reading. My rallye gauge sits on the lower line of the "rectangle" during normal driving and goes up a little if I'm sitting in traffic. What is the best temperature for best performance? I should shoot it with a heat gun.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

RUNCHARGER

Your engine is now operating at the proper temperature to make more power and wear much less. Running too cold is really bad for an ICE. Running no thermostat is a really bad idea, running straight water is another really bad idea.
Sheldon

Husk Challenger

Quote from: WCC on April 15, 2018, 01:41:13 AM
Does your car run any differently? If it is running hot it will be very noticeable when driving.

Are you using the stock gauge to check the temp? Typically I have found those gauges aren't that accurate and I would suggest you get an aftermarket one. Mine is mounted, together with RPM and oil pressure gauges under the console, discreetly out of sight but where I can still easily see them when driving.

I didn t drive it a lot but i didn t notice any change.
Stock gauge and sending unit isn't old!

Thanks

Quote from: Jay Bee on April 15, 2018, 07:25:32 AM
Just for reference, here's a picture I saved from a rallye dash gauge.

This tzmperature gun could really help me...

RUNCHARGER

If it runs constantly between 185 and 210 that would be normal.
Sheldon

Jay Bee

Murray, that's not my picture. I captured it from cc.c about 3 years ago before Photobucket removed all of them.

After searching there it looks like it was posted by Katfish. If they are his, maybe he'll chime in as to where those reading were taken from. For some reason I'm thinking it was at the thermostat housing.

FYI, my rallye gauge reads like yours except at the border crossing when it's about 3/4 up the sweep.

Husk Challenger

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 15, 2018, 08:40:20 AM
Your engine is now operating at the proper temperature to make more power and wear much less. Running too cold is really bad for an ICE. Running no thermostat is a really bad idea, running straight water is another really bad idea.

Ok, yes that's why i absolutely wanted to install a new one... Because the weather here is definetly not the same as in Arizona!  :haha:

I used to see the needle very low on the gauge but in fact it was probably too cold! This winter after a cruising of 80 miles i could put the hand on the radiator and it was barely hot...that what décided me to check if i had a thermostat.

@RUNCHARGER , About the upper hose became hard, is it normal? System under pressure?

Thanks for help

dodj

The hose should be hard. The system pressure is relieved by the rad cap if it gets too high. 16 pounds I think. (7.2kg)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Husk Challenger

Quote from: dodj on April 15, 2018, 10:28:57 AM
The hose should be hard. The system pressure is relieved by the rad cap if it gets too high. 16 pounds I think. (7.2kg)

Ok thanks to confirm.
My cap is 0.9bar so 13 Lbs if i am right

It seems that i get stressed for nothing....  :bricks:

Katfish

Just saw this thread, I took those pics with an IR gun pointed directly at the thermostat housing.

Husk Challenger

I've just ordered one!

Will check the temp at the same place.

Thanks

RUNCHARGER

13lb cap should be fine. Hose will be hard when engine is warm. The gauges usually read in the middle at normal operating temperature. I wish they had #'s but they probably wouldn't be accurate anyway.
Sheldon

Husk Challenger