Main Menu

Theromstat temp

Started by tparker, June 17, 2023, 10:32:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I have a 160 thermostat some one gave me. I was looking at the service manual and it said a 190 unless you had some specific combo I don't. Several auto part stores didn't carry a 190. Most had 160, 180, and 195. Then I thought I would dig through this site to see what others had to say. I didn't find anything exact but it seems people run 160, 180, and 190. What are the pro's and cons?

I think I have a limited naive understanding of how the thermostat actually works. I assume it it closed when "cold" until it reaches it's temp, then it is open. Seems obvious and mostly true. But the part I think I might not understood is it seems the Radiator can actually cool the water below the thermostat temp thus it closing. Is this something that can and should occur? I mean, why not just put a 160 in it and then have the water circulating through the radiator to be cooled? It almost seems like all you are doing is opening it sooner, unless it closes back down and allows the fluid to stay in the radiator longer to cool down. But then that suggests that the water also stays in the engine longer and heats up.

Do people try and use different temps depending on local weather? Colder environments have higher thermostats? Hotter environments have lower thermostats? I'm in Sacramento Ca where temps get into the 100s for days, if not weeks, on end. And we get fairly cold in the winter but barely get below freezing a couple days a year. Anyways, I will probably put a 180 in it unless I hear something better.

pschlosser

I believe, at least for 1970 e-bodies, 195-F is standard.

dodj

The engine was designed to run 191* (if I'm remembering my '73 service manual recommendation properly, or maybe that's what the dealer had). The clearances in the motor are designed to allow expansion etc to be optimal at that point. Less wear on the internals

If you are interested in eeking out every fraction of a hp for the stop light grand prix.....then a colder one will probably help in that regard.

I got my last tstat at the Dodge dealer
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

B5fourspeed

I live 40 minutes east of Sacramento.I run a 180 with my 440 and so far when I go for a drive I will use a  heat temp gun and the radiator will read 185.The motor only has 300 miles on it and I am happy with the cooling system so far.

MoparLeo

The engine needs a certain amount of heat to work properly. 190-195° is the factory recommended temp.
Don't try to experiment with your engine. Stick with the factory spec's. They have spent millions of dollars over decades of cars testing these parts.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

tparker

yeah the 1970 service manual says 190 is standard equipment. For those running the 190, where do you find them? I searched all over and can only find 160, 180, and 195.

dodj

Found mine at the Dodge dealer
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

I only run 180  or 190 *