Main Menu

Timing

Started by edison1970, September 22, 2019, 03:46:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

edison1970

Took the Cuda out for some tuning today. Bumped the non vacuum advance disributor to 18 degrees,  adjusted the idle mixture screws and off I went. The 440 is strong. Traction is hard to come by. The problem is since I pushed it to 18, it's running hot. My question is would running a vacuum advance distributor help to reduce the temperature? 

Chryco Psycho

should be running cooler with more advance did you check the plug color , it could be lean

70 Challenger Lover

Running hot at idle, or hot cruising down the highway?

edison1970

Plugs still look rich. I might need to put in a fresh plug and run it again. It was running rich before I adjusted the timing and readjusted the idle mixture. I also need to see where my vacuum is at to see if my power valve is correct. 

1 Wild R/T

You increased base timing, but did you limit total timing?

edison1970

I just did initial, not total. Going to work on it more later this week. I just ordered  some jets, accel pump cams and secondary springs. This will probably be an all day venture next saturday.

edison1970

Watched some YouTube videos last night on tuning this Holley carb. I realized the idle was cranked up way too much. Idle mix screws were between 1/2 and 3/4 turns out. I'm assuming that my mains are too small. Does that sound right? I think there is a 72 main and 75 secondary.

Chryco Psycho

it depends on the carb size , cam profile , vacuum the engine is making etc , usually there is 8 jet size difference between front & back so front could be too large or rear too small , 3/4 - 1 turn out is about normal for idle mix

edison1970

770 Street Avenger.  It was running about 12-13 on vacuum. Lunati 703.