Main Menu

Transmission leak

Started by 7212Mopar, May 23, 2019, 12:45:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

I noticed a collection of oil under the car last night. It turns out to be from my cast aluminum trans pan. All the fasteners were loosen, guessing from vibration and oil sipped out from the gasket. I tighten up the bolts and no more leaks. In order to avoid this from happening again, I am thinking to try the Vibe-Lock fasteners. Anyone use this before?

http://www.taylorvertex.com/vibe-lock/
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

gzig5

That's cute but in 30+ years in industry and working on cars that is the first time I've seen or heard of them or anything like that.  That tells me they are either very new or not very popular.  Seems overly complicated and the more parts in a system, the more opportunities for failure.  Torque your bolts to spec with a quality torque wrench in a pattern.  If you are really concerned, pull them one by one, clean the threads out with brake cleaner and air pressure and put the bolt back in to spec with purple light duty or blue medium duty thread locker. 

And if you have to call for pricing, it usually means they are very expensive.  I'd guess a couple bucks each.

7212Mopar

Summit and Jegs both carries it. I think Amazon sells it too.  It is another version similar to Stage 8 that I used for the headers. There is another version marketed under the Summit brand that is much cheaper. People use them mostly for headers.

My tranny, pans, gasket and bolts are all new, clean, assembled and were torque to specs. I think 12 ft-lbs or so. They all came loose after about 200 miles. Thread locker might cause problem down the line with aluminum threads.

Chryco Psycho

You may find the bolts are not loosening , just the gasket compressing instead , so you may still need to tighten the bolt occasionally  :bigthumb:
Before I tune any engine I tighten the intake bolts first for the same reason  :alan2cents:

7212Mopar

I am still waiting for the vibe lock bolts. They should arrive tomorrow. Anyway, I found another small puddle of trans fluid under the car this morning. I jacked her up and the bolts are tight. It is sipping past the gasket as far as I can tell. There is no other leak elsewhere.CRT sealed up the trans well. Time to order another  gasket and I am thinking adding a thin layer grey rtv sealant both sides of the mating surfaces. I don't think I over tighten the bolts as I used my wrist only and there is not much power from my wrist.

Chryco Psycho

You could just use right stuff & forget the gasket

7212Mopar

Changed to a Moroso rubber gasket with metal reinforcement encased inside. It has good reviews but is not working for me. It still leaks after car is parked. All bolts are tight. Fluid level is high when car stop and I think fluid drain back from the converter and cooler. Back to the drawing board and more research. This is getting expensive. Two gallons of Redline synthetic is $90.

kawahonda

Make sure your shifter lever seal isn't leaking. Very common. If that's leaking it will make it appear like it could be the pan gasket...
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Katfish

I changed my pan gasket 3 times before I figured out it wasn't the problem.
Odds are it's leaking elsewhere and dripping down.
My problem was the pivot pin in the rear.

7212Mopar

Brand new CRT 727 transmission and nothing else is leaking but the pan and tiny leak at the neutral safety switch. Above the pan rim is dry.

7212Mopar

I ordered more Redline trans fluid and a different type of trans pan gasket. The previous version was Moroso, looks beefy and flat but it leaks. This time I ordered the lubelocker thin gasket with raised silicone beads around the inside and outside of the perimeter and around the bolt holes. I plan to apply Permatex 85420 gasket dresser this time on both sides of the gasket.

Probably will make the change this weekend. Stay tuned. I hate the smell of the Redline trans fluid. If I got problem, my wife is going to be furious if I don't act fast.

kawahonda

Transmission fluid is the worst
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

gzig5

Quote from: 7212Mopar on June 12, 2019, 03:13:31 PM
I ordered more Redline trans fluid and a different type of trans pan gasket. The previous version was Moroso, looks beefy and flat but it leaks. This time I ordered the lubelocker thin gasket with raised silicone beads around the inside and outside of the perimeter and around the bolt holes. I plan to apply Permatex 85420 gasket dresser this time on both sides of the gasket.

Probably will make the change this weekend. Stay tuned. I hate the smell of the Redline trans fluid. If I got problem, my wife is going to be furious if I don't act fast.

If the drain pan is clean, there is no reason to throw out good trans fluid.  That's just wasteful.  Pour it back in when the work is done.  If it makes you feel better, run it through a couple layers of cheese cloth first or as you put it back in.   I highly recommend a pan with a drain bolt, whether deep sump or standard.  Makes it all SO much easier.

7212Mopar

Thanks. That is my plan also. The fluid is one week old only. I picked up a new oil collector pan with a snout and thinking of using coffee filter to poured back into the container. I lost so much oil that I have to get more from summit. The Red line oil is like $46 a gallon. The TCI aluminum deep pan has a maganetic drain plug.

JS29

A paint strainer works as well, any parts store that mixes paint will have them. they work well with a funnel, and you can double them up if want.   :alan2cents: