Main Menu

Transmission line fitting into case

Started by GrandpaKevin, May 28, 2018, 03:38:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

I'm trying to track down a pesky little transmission leak.

I think it might be coming from the fitting where the transmission line goes into the case.
It is the forward line, I believe that is the supply line with a 1/8 NPT size going into the tranny case and the female tranny line screws onto the back of the fitting?

My question is does that 1/8 fitting thread completely into the case until it gets tight?
Right now I have the fitting threaded in about 3/4 of the way but not tight.
I don't want to strip the threads or crack the tranny case if it's not supposed to be threaded in tight.

Thanks.

RUNCHARGER

It should be fairly snug. You have to loosen the transmission line nut (two wrenches obviously), then tighten this one into the case. Then you tighten the transmission line nut back up.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Snug, yes, but 3/4 of the way in should be snug.....  Have you replace the shift shaft seal & the kick down shaft seal?  Neutral Safety switch & seal?

GrandpaKevin

Thanks guys.

The fitting does feel snug.

The transmission was completely rebuilt before installing and I assume all seals were replaced.

It 's hard to tell exactly where the leak is, I only see a small drop or two on the cooling fins on the aluminum transmission pan.

RUNCHARGER

I think if the fitting was leaking it probably would run down the line and drip off of it. It could run down the case I suppose. You will have to thoroughly clean the case to find the leak I imagine.
Sheldon

Strawdawg

Also check the end of the neutral switch...took me awhile to find that it was the leaking culprit.  It was not leaking where it screwed into the tranny.  It was leaking around the end under the electrical connection,.
Steve

1 Wild R/T

Other common leaks are the rear band anchor pin & the dipstick tube but those aren't on the drivers side of the trans....   I've seen plenty of leaks on freshly rebuilt torqueflites..... Hate to say it but some guys take shortcuts.....

GrandpaKevin

Thanks guys.

This is an odd leak, the trans was cleaned and rebuilt with all new parts. 

I can't seem to find where the fluid is coming from,  I haven't ruled out the dipstick tube but the drips appear on the opposite side, just a couple small drips on the cooling fins on the aluminum pan, my luck the pan is porous and leaking.

1 Wild R/T

Well that area looks dry.... Are the drips toward the front of the pan or the rear?

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 28, 2018, 05:30:28 PM
Well that area looks dry.... Are the drips toward the front of the pan or the rear?

Front to middle driver's side.

Chryco Psycho

the fittings are pipe thread so they taper , the farther in you go the tighter they get , using thread sealer is a must .
same are you have the NSS Switch & shift lever any of which could seep

GrandpaKevin

Would these other seals leak all the time?

I only seem to see the drips after I run/drive the car.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on May 28, 2018, 06:47:10 PM
Would these other seals leak all the time?

I only seem to see the drips after I run/drive the car.

Drivers side middle isn't gonna be the dipstick tube or the band anchor pin....

The shift shaft & neutral safety switch would both be constant leaks, park the car & a week later come back to a puddle..  But the kick down lever shaft seal only leaks after a drive....