Main Menu

Transmission rear seal

Started by Bpret, February 15, 2021, 01:37:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bpret

I'm replacing the rear seal on a manual transmission my old seal was flat with no boot the new one has a boot with a small hole in it,does the hole face up or down?

anlauto

Interesting question...I was going to rush to type down, thinking it might be a drain hole, but that seems weird to have on a "seal" so maybe it's a breather hole to let air escape  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bpret

Thanks Alan the hole is past the seal so it has to be for air. But if the seal leaks fluid will drip out hole. So if it's vent I would think it faces up or is it a weep hole to warn you the seal is leaking?

SgtSuperbird

I shouldn't butt in, since I don't know anything about this, but I would think the hole should go downward, so it doesn't fill with any water, etc. Theoretically, with the hole facing up, it could possibly fill with water.

This theory doesn't apply to my cars, because I don't wash them or drive them, to where they might get wet!  :D

Bpret

Thanks for the reply Sgt. I agree with your thinking. In the past I have always installed them hole down but for some reason this time I wondered why it was there. There is a seal that doesn't have the big boot and no hole :dunno:

Chryco Psycho

anlauto

Down was my first thought....only overthinking it made me question the purpose of the hole.... :thinking:  Looks like down it is :thumbdown:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I've always installed them down. I agree on the debris seeping down and dirt/moisture not dripping in theory.
Sheldon