Main Menu

U-Joint replacement

Started by Katfish, February 11, 2020, 03:24:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

Any way to replace the u-joints without a press?
See a couple of youtubes where they just beat it out with a hammer.
Looks doable that way, but seems dicey.

Any other tricks or tips?

dodj

Before I had a press I used my vise to push on the ujoint cups. You still needed to use a hammer to finish the removal job though. Vise doesn't have enough travel to do it on its own.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cudajason

Agreed. I have used a vice and a socket as a spacer. Worked like a charm.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

chargerdon

yep, just place it supported, with under open, put a 5/8 inch old socket on top, and beat it with a hammer...it will come out ...oh make sure you remove the clips first !!!  lol

RUNCHARGER

Yup: I usually don't take the time to even use a vice. Just on the floor with some sockets and a hammer.
Sheldon

Swamp Donkey

I use my ball joint removal tool.  It's like a big c-clamp with a hole in the bottom end.  With my big Milwaukee cordless impact, it's so quick and easy.  The hammer and socket method does work, but I am a bit of a wild man with a hammer and have damaged yokes etc before that way.  And wrecked sockets.  But it does work.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

JS29

:iagree: Ball joint tool is the best tough.  :alan2cents:

Bullitt-

:iagree:  That's what I recall using.. I believe those are available trough many auto parts "loan-a-tool" programs..

like this

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/loaner-ball-joint-press-adapter/powerbuilt-ball-joint-and-u-joint-press-set-23-piece/449947_0
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

JS29

Yes that will get the job done.  :wrenching:

R/T's 4 R/P

without a press a vise works great, as noted above.
In a pinch I have used a large C-Clamp...large socket on one end to allow the bearing to slide into it, and a smaller socket to push.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

Katfish

Thx for all the replies,

I was reluctant to go at it with a hammer, so I rented the ball joint tool kit from AutoZone and it worked like a charm.

Feels good to do it yourself and know it's done right.
Doesn't hurt saving $40 the guy at machine shop wanted to do it.