Main Menu

Unidentified cylinder heads

Started by Priesty, February 23, 2022, 10:11:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Priesty

Hi guys, I hope someone can assist me.
I have an 87 360 in my Cuda fitted by previous owner & am trying to ID the cylinder heads without removing the intake. I have inspected every nook & cranny on the top of the heads after removing Valve covers, but there is no casting number to be seen. Also no letter in between the spark plugs on the side. The only numbers on the top of the head are 222 & a "K" on top of the runners that should normally have a 6 digit cast no. I'm also not sure whether it's a roller block or not, but I did notice it has the smaller pushrod holes, so probably not. Eventually I will probably replace the intake so I can check the underside casting number then but would like to ID now so I know what I'm dealing with.
Appreciate any head Gurus input.
Cheers.....
Steve.
Cheers....
Steve.
72 BS23 E55 'Cuda, Lemon twist.
Seaworks HDR by steve, on Flickr

Strawdawg

I thought perhaps they were dealer replacement heads but I don't find any mention of such...  only the locations under the valve cover and one on the underside by the valves
Steve

MoparLeo

moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Priesty

Thanks Leo, very useful information.
I think I can confidently rule out roller block as casting date is definitely 87. Provided the original builder didn't switch out the heads then they should be either one of 3: 4179930, 4006830 or 4045610. Will know for sure when I eventually rip the manifold off.
Cheers....
Steve.

Chryco Psycho

All of the 87 blocks I have seen are rollers with any luck you have the 308 casting heads which are by far the best flowing LA head .

Priesty

Do the roller block heads (308?) normally have larger push rod holes?
Cheers....
Steve.

Chryco Psycho

Not that I recall , no reason to .

Priesty

OK, so I finally pulled manifold & ID'd cyl heads as 4343923 which I believe is 89-92 roller cam head (swirl port?), but flat tappet cam & lifters fitted so not a roller block. Do roller blocks have threaded holes to hold the spider in place?
Cheers....
Steve.

jimynick

" Do roller blocks have threaded holes to hold the spider in place?"  Yes, they do.
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Priesty

Thanks Jimynick, that confirms it then no holes in valley.
Cheers....
Steve.