Main Menu

valve body vs shift kit.

Started by Cratos, November 02, 2020, 08:19:51 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cratos

on my 727 I would like to get  better shifts ( kind of lags when shifting)  I am not sure I am comfortable drilling on the valve body to in stall a shift kit. But I am having a hard time with searching for a manual / automatic valve body with the automatic  forward pattern.

Burdar

TransGo TF2.  It's not a full manual valve body but it's a good kit.  It comes with a guide plate that you bolt to the valve body and shows you where to drill.  It's super easy.

The TF3 is the manual shift version.  Not sure if it reverses the shift pattern though.

kawahonda

Another vote for TF2. A good transmission shop can add it for you. If you don't already have it, get the partial throttle kickdown kit off eBay and have them install that too. It's pretty cheap and improves drivability.

TF2 is nice and firm. Some people may think a little "too" firm at times, but you'll learn to love it. It will remind you that it is there sometimes during low speeds in parking lots. You will be able to chirp into second easily for WOT runs. Don't let me scare you--drivability is great with the TF2, but it will create positive shifts that is more noticeable at very low speeds when the 727 decides to shift. :)

I had my transmission guy also update the bands/struts. He adjusted things and improved some of the shift points as well. Money very well spent.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

MoparLeo

Not all shift improve kits require drilling. Depend on the firmness that you are looking for. Shift improver kits have been available for over 50 years and most kits are user friendly. Just have a clean area, the proper tools, fluid  and a little patience. The late model synthetic gaskets are best and don't overtorque the pan. Really a good thing to do is get an aftermarket deeper pan. They are stiffer, hold more fluid and most have a drain plug for future fluid changes. A trans cooler is one of the best improvements you can make for your transmissions durability. Torque pan to    150 inch lbs. / 12.5 ft. lbs. Factory specs.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Cratos

When we tore the trans down It had all new stuff in it Why they did not do a shift kit is beyond me all the internal are quality stuff and no any noticeable ware. Maybe junk in the valve body? Don't know but if it the valve body has to come out to clean .might as well change it out for a better one.

Skid Row

:twothumbsup: I went with a (A & A Transmissions) manual VB with non reverse pattern. It didn't cost that much...

mopar jack

put the trans go tf2 kit in my car back in 1996, still works great. The kit allows you to set the wide open throttle shift point by adjusting the kickdown rod. The kit also had a mod to correct for converter drain back which i did not install and should have. Before I can move the car i have to put it in neutral to allow the pump to pressure things up.

Burdar

You can install a modified manual valve so the convertor fills in park.  I added one on my 904.

70/6chall

The last time I had my 904 rebuilt in Slant6 Challenger which I believe was in the 90's. I had the trans shop put in a B&M Shift improver kit and at the same time I had them install a floor mounted B&M Quicksilver ratchet style shifter. So far I really like the way the trans shifts with some great solid up shifts. Besides I have always had the trans serviced every 30K miles, makes a difference on a daily driven car. Thanks,   Al