Main Menu

stroking a 383

Started by GoMangoBoys, September 28, 2019, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I tore down the 383 today from our new Challenger.   It looks like a decent core to rebuild.  As best I can tell, it is 4.25 bore, though I will need to get it opened up 0.030" since there is some light surface rust on the cylinder walls and a small lip at the top.  I did not measure the crank journals but it looks like it will need turned 10 under.
My block is a 66 cast date, 67 build date.  B type.  Not the original engine from the car.
I am considering the possibility of doing a stroker.  I see some kits for about $2300 to stroke it to 438CI by going 30 over and 3.75" stroke length.  I have several questions:
1.  will this be a reliable build?
2.  Will I need to do a bunch of celarancing of the block?
3.  Can I just acquire a shopping list of the correct parts to do this a lot cheaper than the price of the kit?
4.  Would I be better off to just go buy a 440 short block that needs rebuilt?
Thanks

70 Challenger Lover

RUNCHARGER

10 different guys will give you 10 different opinions. Mine is that if it was the original 383 block for the car you could stroke it to a 438 and it would work fairly well. However it isn't the original block so your options are pretty open.
Another option would be to buy a 440 core and build pretty much the same engine but save some money. An added benefit of the 440 is that the intake manifolds generally flow a little bit more evenly than a 383-400 low deck manifold and will not need tricks to make work. Not a big deal but the 440 is the cheapest and easiest build and the 440 inches will make all the power you really need in a street car.
Most people will tell you to start with a 400 block (outside dimensions same as the 383). The 400 block has bigger bores which helps unshroud the valves and this will help the heads breathe a little better, the 400 block is also a little stronger in the main web area than a 440 so it's really the best stock block to use.
Myself, I like the 400 based 470 package the best. It gives pretty good cubic inch, does not require too short of a piston and will make a ton of power and last a long time in a street car.
I don't think there is a bad way to go to be honest, all the choices are pretty good.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I have built a number of 436 383s & 451 400 they are an awesome engine ,
The kit is the best way to go basically it is a 440 in a low deck block , great rod ratio etc .... do it !!
Clearancing is minimal internally .The lighter pistons & rods reduce the need for crank mass so in total it removes 7 lbs from the rotating assy !
If you are doing a 440 block go to 512 same basic principle applies .