Main Menu

Valve covers

Started by cuda hunter, December 15, 2019, 12:55:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

Just wondering if yal peen your valve cover bolt holes out?
These valve covers were bent almost a half inch in the middle.
straightened them up a ton.  Some of the bolt holes were almost 1/4" protruding down. 
Needless to say, they leaked like a sieve. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Cudakiller70

Yup, flat dolly and a body and fender hammer is what I use. Also get a straight edge to check all the way down not just bolt holes.

cuda hunter

I use a railroad tie for my straight edge.  Got a couple different lengths.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

Do you peen those holes further than what I pictured? 

RUNCHARGER

I make them flat and yes check the rails as well.
Sheldon

Cudakiller70

I do them up just a hair, with a straight edge there will be a very slight gap if any. I have a Train rail also, tuff stuff. I also add hold down tabs trying to spread the load out.
Autozone has some.

cuda hunter

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on December 15, 2019, 01:21:09 PM
I do them up just a hair, with a straight edge there will be a very slight gap if any. I have a Train rail also, tuff stuff. I also add hold down tabs trying to spread the load out.
Autozone has some.

these covers have them factory. 

cuda hunter

So my biggest question about the valve covers is how to seal them.

I get it, clean, clean and clean. 

I've used the three rtv's over the years and they are hit or miss.  Mostly when I was a pontiac guy.

Then my good friend who is a mopar guy turned me onto the gear sealant.  That stuff works great.  I've used it with gaskets and without gaskets and it works better without gaskets.  But still will usually work great with the gaskets.

So I have a buddy, Ford guy, says to do it this way.  use 3M 8001 only on the valve cover side. Install with lower side dry.  His motors don't leak much.  I've seen several he has built.  I figured I would try it just because he's my friend and I value his opinion.  If it doesn't work, I'll blame it on ford. 

What do you guys use to get no leaks from valve covers. 

Cudakiller70

Quote from: cuda hunter on December 15, 2019, 02:53:25 PM
So my biggest question about the valve covers is how to seal them.

I get it, clean, clean and clean

So I have a buddy, Ford guy, says to do it this way.  use 3M 8001 only on the valve cover side. Install with lower side dry.  His motors don't leak much.  I've seen several he has built.  I figured I would try it just because he's my friend and I value his opinion.
I do mine that way also. I use the same stuff just in black. I glue the gaskets to the valve cover then very very lightly snug up. Next morning I'll tighten just so they are firm. I don't use a ratchet just a thumb wheel. Most leaks are due to over tightening.
One other thing I've read here somewhere is to check that the threads are deep enough and the bolt doesn't bottom out.

chargerdon

Use Permatex "The right Stuff"...   it works every-time !!   PUt it on the cover first, and then the gasket on the cover...  let it set up for an hour..   Then put another layer on the gasket bottom itself, let it set up for min or two...then put on the head and bolt her down.   It will stop the leaks !! 

Only drawback the stuff is expensive and i haven't had much luck, using the stuff that i didn't use the first time.     So only buy the size that you need... about 3 oz will do 1 cover, or the 5 oz will do two.   5 oz is part number 29208...$19.99 at Oreillys.   

jimynick

The Right Stuff is a great sealant, BUT, it achieves that success by sticking like the old proverbial "doo-doo" to a blanket and you'll need leverage to get the  cover off again. If your covers are going on and not coming off for 1000's of miles, go for it. It isn't cheap, but it does stick!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

anlauto

Another vote for 3M Weather-strip adhesive :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

cuda hunter

I am quite surprised at the support for the 3M. 

Thanks guys for all your experiences. 

One thing I can say is that it was nice to remove the valve covers and have just cork gaskets and no sealant on the head itself. Cleaning the head off while in the engine bay is a pain.

Ill try right stuff some time.  sounds like it would do the same job as the mopar gear sealant. 
expensive, holds really well for a long time.  pain in the butt to remove. 

cudabob496

this stopped every valve cover leak and tranny leak on my Cuda. Makes gaskets swell.
Also works in power steering units. Its amazing, IMO. My local auto parts store said
it is the most stolen item in their store.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AT-205-ATP-Re-Seal-Leak-Stopper-8oz-Pack-Of-2-2-Pack/223557505273?epid=14029889441&hash=item340d10d0f9:g:4gwAAOSwX7BdG4jS
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.