Main Menu

Well...my good luck took a hit today

Started by GrandpaKevin, July 30, 2017, 11:48:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

I was moving along soo nicely with the drivetrain install in the wife's R/T Challenger until today  :'(

Yesterday evening, after going to the Mopar event at Summit Raceway in Norwark, I was able to get the Bouchillon kickdown linkage working real good on the 440 Six Pack engine and the car felt really strong on the short test drives. :twothumbsup:

So this morning I went out to start the car to recheck the timing when I heard the dreaded loud clank/rattle coming from the rear of the engine. At first terrible rod knock thoughts go through your head but oil pressure looked good and the engine ran strong.
The sound went away when I revved the engine.

So up on the lift the car went in hopes the flexplate to converter bolts were loose and/or rubbing on the inspection cover.
My hopes were dashed when I couldn't find rub marks anywhere and the converter bolts were still tight.
There goes those rod knock thoughts again. :o

So after moving things around I discover the converter was moving around a bit and after taking a closer look at the flexplate, it is moving around on the back of the crank.
So either the flexpalte bolts to the crank came loose or the flexplate holes are oblonged, probably both after listening to that loud clanking noise.
The flexplate to crank bolts were new ARP's and torqued to spec with red Loctite.

So the good news is I found the problem and the engine is safe, the bad news the tranny is going to have to be pulled off unless someone here has a special way to swap out the flexplate.

I'm going to order a new flexplate....anyone know if the SFI ones from 440 Source are any good?

Rev-It-Up

Yikes! Sorry to hear that Grandpa! We had the same poor luck...3 steps forward, 2 steps back. Keep at! Great news the engine is sound!
Rev-It-Up

Bullitt-

All in All I'd call that pretty good news just bein a little ole flex plate ..
someone once said "It's Always Something" .. Figure they own a few old cars don't ya recon?
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: Bullitt- on July 30, 2017, 04:01:06 PM
someone once said "It's Always Something" .. Figure they own a few old cars don't ya recon?

Yes it could have been much worse and I'm glad to have been able to figure out what the problem is.

When I was younger this kind of stuff would have driven me crazy and I would have wanted to fix it right NOW.
I probably would have spent the rest of the day tearing the car apart.

The older, and hopefully wiser I get I realize where my priorities are.
I got the car up on the lift, determined the problem and realized there is no sense rushing to tear everything apart so I cleaned up my tools and closed the garage door.
I spent the rest of the day doing fun things with my wife and family.
I'll get a new flexplate ordered tomorrow and if I have time tomorrow evening after work I'll start on removing the trans.
I still think I've been very lucky on this build so far, things are moving along very well. 
This has been an automatic transmission learning experience for this 4 speed guy.....

71vert340

Years ago ( like 20 years ago), I broke the flex plate on my 4wd Suburban. I was on my back looking up at the transfer case and tranny, not liking the thought of removing it all. I think I disconnected just enough to slide the tranny and torque converter back just back far enough to get the broken flex plate out and new plate in. I just couldn't bear the thought of taking it all out. Now I'm in my mid-60s and I'd probably pay someone to do it.
Terry

jordan

I love the look of those rims on your Challenger!  I wish I could get larger diameter Centerlines to fit over my brakes, and I would have them too.  Good luck with your trans. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

jamesroney

Quote from: Bullitt- on July 30, 2017, 04:01:06 PM

I'm also going with "good luck."  My flex plate let go on my 2001 F250 Super Duty this summer.  But when it failed, it remained pinched between the retainer, and the crankshaft.  So there was enough friction to allow the engine to start, run, and drive.  Unfortunately, it would occasionally slip...and then rotate on the crank.  You can see the big counterweight in the picture. When the weight was in the right location, it ran smooth.  Then it would slip...and shake.  Sometimes it would vibrate a little...sometimes a lot.  Hopelessly random.  Very tricky to diagnose.  No noise.  The "misfire" vibration was improperly diagnosed as pretty much everything expensive in the engine, injection, and computer system.  (I changed most of it$$$)

BS23N0E

GrandpaKevin

Spent a couple hours after work today getting the trans ready to come out.
Everything came apart real easy since it was just put together.

Got everything loose and/or removed except the cross member/tranny mount, driveshaft and the 2 bottom trans. bolts.

The new flexplate won't be here until the end of the week so I'm going to take my time and keep everything in place to avoid having the engine and trans supported by jacks and fluid dripping everywhere.

I'll stop at Summit Racing tomorrow and pick up some new ARP crank bolts.
I hope there isn't any damage to the rear of the crank.

Chryco Psycho

Crank should be fine , no reason for damage there .