Main Menu

What do restored engines really look like ?

Started by Purepony, October 23, 2020, 08:39:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Purepony

I’d like to see mopar engines preferable small blocks when they are restored as per factory. I see some where they even paint the exhaust manifold orange or the intake to water pump hose orange too !

I’ve also seen some in blue

I’ve seen things like this on high end and low end cars so I don’t know what was factory

Please share some pics of the engine is out of the car that would be better to see more

Thanks

kawahonda

Quote from: Purepony on October 23, 2020, 08:39:20 PM
I'd like to see mopar engines preferable small blocks when they are restored as per factory. I see some where they even paint the exhaust manifold orange or the intake to water pump hose orange too !

Water pump hose is always painted to my knowledge for every factory job.

There will be factory overspray on manifolds. They were never "painted."  Some restorers do not do that because why spend the money to ceramic coat the manifolds, then to blast an overspray which will burn off and discolor only to mimic a factory imperfection? Kind of stupid in my opinion.

Quote from: Purepony on October 23, 2020, 08:39:20 PMI've also seen some in blue

My pic is of my exact 340 in the 70s in the car. There's a lot of things I wouldn't care to replicate. Factory overspray on manifolds. Notice half of the negative cable is sprayed (in another pic I can post). To me, that is sloppy. Replicating sloppy is just not my style. If Chrysler had a chance, they wouldn't either. They did what they did because it was efficient to do so.

Basically, everything gets sprayed that you cannot see in this picture.

I am replicating my engine right now with a second engine on the stand, but I am not doing the factory imperfection route.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

steelcuda

Here is my rebuilt 360 engine. It's original block but then that's about it. The manifold is an Edelbrock L340 from 1972 I believe.  We did a full restore with modern parts last year. We painted it hemi orange because I like the look in the black engine bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 318 Barracuda
1974 360 'Cuda (B5 Blue, sold)
2009 Challenger R/T (sold)
2015 Challenger ScatPack (sold)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost (sold)
2016 Challenger Hellcat

anlauto

This in my interpretation of what I think they should look like when restored to original....Funny...I haven't done many stock small block 4bbl cars...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Purepony

Whoa whoa whoa !!
Really cool cuda!

Great pics keep em coming !

So for 70-74 what's the correct color the blue or orange ?
I see the cuda 71 was blue

autoxcuda

Quote from: Purepony on October 24, 2020, 08:45:09 AM
Whoa whoa whoa !!
Really cool cuda!

Great pics keep em coming !

So for 70-74 what's the correct color the blue or orange ?
I see the cuda 71 was blue

What specific year, motor, trans, ac?, power steering? Do you have.

It is very specific. Pictures of all different years just confuses things.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Purepony

I have an la 360 but I just want to see what a factory engine looks like. I'll probably just paint my block orange to look presentable for till 2022 when I plan to drop in a 6.4 hemi.

Every time I see a mopar there's always something different it seems also keep in mind I don't see a lot of mopars around here

anlauto

The 340 changed from orange to blue in the 1971 model year, I believe sometime in and around May 1971. :thinking:

So early built 1971 cars would have an orange 340 while late built 1971 cars would have a blue 340
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

autoxcuda

Quote from: Purepony on October 24, 2020, 09:33:18 AM
I have an la 360 but I just want to see what a factory engine looks like. I'll probably just paint my block orange to look presentable for till 2022 when I plan to drop in a 6.4 hemi.

Every time I see a mopar there's always something different it seems also keep in mind I don't see a lot of mopars around here

Which year factory.

You have a 70 Challenger, correct?

Would you like to see 1970 340 motors?

Air cleaners, exhaust manifolds, smog equipment, carburetors, powder steering pump types, etc changed greatly from 1970 to 1974 on 340 and 360 motors
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Purepony

Not really specify on any year I was just curious to see what they looked like throughout the years

The changes and paints Since I've never really noticed them

Rich G.

Here's my 73 and a 70 . I'm not a fan of painted manifolds and hoses.

Purepony

Are you guys painting these with a spray gun or spray can ? Are you using clear also ?

kawahonda

Spray gun (two part) is superior. Plus you can get the best
Match color.

Duplicolor hemi orange isn't correct.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66