Main Menu

What Do You Prefer To Use To Seal The Ends Of The Intake Manifold

Started by Daveh, April 07, 2018, 03:32:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

What do you prefer to use to seal the ends of the intake when you install it in your Car?

The cork gaskets for the ends provided in the seal kit?
1 (7.7%)
RTV on the ends with no cork gasket?
10 (76.9%)
Something Else
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Daveh

Hey guys,

I have a question about what you prefer to use to seal the ends of the intake when you install it in your Car?  I think there are really two answers but if you have another please list it.  Thanks

one bad fish

dodj

On a big block, just silicone.
On a small block, the cork gaskets with silicone in the corners where it meets the head.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

GoodysGotaCuda

Black RTV all the way across on a small block.

If using an aftermarket intake, be sure to remove the roll pin(s).
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Daveh

73_Cuda_4_Me

If using stock cast iron manifold, go with cork end gaskets - will withstand the torque and tighten down on the gasket properly.

If using aftermarket aluminum manifold, ditch cork and use RTV or similar in 1/4-3/8" bead all the way across, making sure to overlap the corners well onto the intake gaskets...

That's what I used on my 340 when I added aluminum manifold, but eventually went back to stock cast iron intake.

My two cents... (no two cent emoji anymore???)
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

shawge

I've got a 400 w/ aluminum heads and intake.  I used Hylomar Blue around the intake runners and dabs of black RTV at the 4 corners and a thin bead under the hold downs. 
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

6bblgt

IRON MAN

Which Permatex RTV silicone sealer works best for the end seals on the engine block to aluminum intake manifold? Blue silicone, Black silicone, Ultra Black, Ultra Grey, etc ?