Main Menu

Another Timing Question

Started by Cudajason, September 11, 2018, 06:20:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

So how fast is to fast to have mechanical advance come in on a small block.

My advance seem to come in from 19 degrees to 34, by 1500...really quick.  yes I have changed the springs and limited the advance.  I have other springs and could have the advance come in slower if needed.

Is there an acceptable rate, or does it change for each engine.  If I do not get pinging at WOT, do I call it good (I have not gone WOT yet with this set up).

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

73_Cuda_4_Me

Mine with stock springs and limiter starts advancing from 18 at 1200, and all in to 34 at 3000...

I am thinking yours is coming in too soon... WOT isn't where I get pinging when I set advance too much, it's under mild to moderate acceleration load in 2000 to 3000 range when auto tranny shifts up to 2nd and before hitting 3rd, and lugging in 3rd at lower rpm to accel.

When I tried non-stock springs, always advanced way too quick, so I ended up with stock ones... the 2nd spring doesn't do anything till around 2000, so the dizzy's curve isn't straight line, but flattens out the last 1/3 of the advance curve...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Cudajason

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on September 11, 2018, 06:46:36 PM
Mine with stock springs and limiter starts advancing from 18 at 1200, and all in to 34 at 3000...

I am thinking yours is coming in too soon... WOT isn't where I get pinging when I set advance too much, it's under mild to moderate acceleration load in 2000 to 3000 range when auto tranny shifts up to 2nd and before hitting 3rd, and lugging in 3rd at lower rpm to accel.

When I tried non-stock springs, always advanced way too quick, so I ended up with stock ones... the 2nd spring doesn't do anything till around 2000, so the dizzy's curve isn't straight line, but flattens out the last 1/3 of the advance curve...

Yeah I think its too soon as well.

I think I need to get out for a test spin and see what it does though.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Chryco Psycho

If it does not ping it is not too fast , the curve will change with each engine & changes if it is Auto or manual as well