Main Menu

what kind of engine sealants ?

Started by chargerdon, November 13, 2018, 03:46:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

Hi i'm going to start work on replacing my current camshaft with a new Lunati Vodoo 103K in my small block 360.  It currently has a Mopar 508 Performance purple cam and its just too hot for the street, with poor off idle transition and not enough vacuum to properly operate the power brakes...   

I know that mopars have a reputation for being difficult to seal and this is the first small block that i will have worked on.  SO, I'm asking for suggestions on what if any sealants to use on:

1) Engine pan   (saw on youtube blue silicon on both sides of the gasket and end seals).   Good idea?   What brand?

2) Timing chain cover?

3) Intake manifold ( i have edelbrock RPM air gap aluminum intake manifold)? 

4) Timing chain cover ?

5) water pump?

6) Valve covers ?   ps the kit that i bought has cork valve cover gaskets.

Thanks for any advice !

dodj

Personally, the only thing on your list I use silicone on is the intake manifold. And only at the corners where the different gaskets meet. All the rest I let the gasket do it's job. Cleaning the surfaces so they are smooth is important though.

FYI, Using silicone on cork gaskets is a bad idea.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

GoodysGotaCuda

I use nothing but "The Right Stuff" Permatex in the cheese can. It's not cheap, but I have not found anything better, especially things I do not want to do twice [like a timing cover].

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-85144-Right-Stuff-Gasket/dp/B000HBNU4U/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1542154279&sr=1-2&keywords=right+stuff+gasket+maker

When I swapped cams on the Warlock I didn't use cork on the front of the pan and just used the RTV [cork kept pushing out], it doesn't leak a drip.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

jimynick

I agree with Goody in that "The Right Stuff" is aptly named! Having said that, we use pretty much all Permatex sealants and haven't had many issues doing so. The black gasket maker works well on the timing cover as well. Don't forget that some of the bolts in the timing cover are "wet" and require thread sealant when they are re-used. We used to use weatherstrip adhesive on the valve cover gaskets to the cover and don't crank the pss out of them if you use them. The silicone with metal insert ones are better and have torque limiting features. Take a blow gun and metal "pick" and go around the edges of the intake to scrape any residual dirt and blow it all off before pulling the intake and dumping it all into your engine. Good luck.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"