Main Menu

What min rpm you can tromp dual quad Hemi ??

Started by Racer57, July 15, 2018, 08:20:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Just curious and need to ask because I'll never get to experience it or do it.  What is the minimum rpm that you floor those two 4 barrels without puking or hesitating ? Its got to be a fantastic experience.   :wowzers:

ToxicWolf

:popcorn: love to see this one. Haven't done it on the dual quad 572 yet.

RUNCHARGER

If you have stock carbs, intake and linkage you can hit it anytime you want and things will start happening. If you have 1-1 linkage on the carbs, different intake etc. it may vary.
A totally stock 426 Hemi will pull okay to 3500RPM and then it will really come alive and run hard up to 6500RPM. Where a stock (I guess modified even more) Hemi really starts to work is in high gear at 100MPH or so. They just pull hard and long and that's when they leave a wedge in the dust. A good wedge (even a nice smallblock) will keep up to a Hemi until then.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
Stock the AFBs have spring loaded air doors so even floored off idle it will respond well , the street Hemis are relatively sluggish at low RPM but still pull well but once you get the air flow moving look out !! I have seen it many times , you get about 1000' down the drag strip & figure you have the Hemi beat  as it is in the mirror & then they blast past you with a 10MPH+ charge at the end , the top end pull is like nothing else  :stayinlane:

BIGSHCLUNK

Even my old crate HEMI ('01) single holley.  Just starts to get a tickle at about 2800 R's. Mid 3's is where you really feel her start coming into the powerband. 

EFI5spdtom

With the Edelbrock single plane EFI manifold (and the stock manifold with EFI) it can be stomped at any speed.  Even with the front throttles together opening before the rears together.   With the Tremec low gear and 373s in the rear, it pulls good from idle-but it really does zip up from 4k to 6k fast.  I still have the stock AFB weighted air valves on the rear barrels because without them if I punched it wide open from idle, the EFI bogged for about a second then slammed on and I did not like the jerking of the motor.

RUNCHARGER

I like your setup. I did this one but I like the look of yours better and no air cleaner hassles either.
Sheldon

EFI5spdtom

No air cleaner (shaker base plate) issues is true.  But I had to modify the carbs extensively to turn them into throttle bodies.  Take off the choke mechanisms and cut the links to open the secondaries, cut and bring the throttle side closer to the body to clear the fuel rails, plug numerous holes with set screws and epoxy to cutoff all the air bleeds so the idle speed would settle down.  The easy part was taking out the venturies and choke valve.  At the end of the day, they work well...but lots of fab work to mount the IAC and TPS valves.