Main Menu

What Oil Catch Can Do You Have Installed?

Started by Poolshark314, November 20, 2020, 10:18:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Poolshark314

What catch cans do you guys have? Have one on my newer Charger so I figured it would be good to have one on the 440.
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

Topcat

None.

Letting it spray and piss all over the place like a Cat or a Dog.   :haha:

GrandpaKevin

I went with a stainless overflow/recovery tank.

I modified it a bit and mounted it to the radiator brackets near the battery.

Works great and will pull the coolant back into the radiator if needed.

71vert340

Are you asking about an oil catch can or a coolant recovery system?  The catch can I have on my 2015 Challenger catches the oil vapor from the crankcase ventilation, removes a lot of the liquid oil, before returning it to the intake.
Terry

Poolshark314

Yeah sorry my fault for not being specific, an oil catch can.
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

JH27N0B

Is there any point to installing one on a carbureted engine?  Shortly after I bought my 09 Challenger R/T I tried to order one from billet technologies but they were back ordered and never got back to me, and I never got ambitious about that project again even though I still own the car.  I see videos where they definitely catch some oil but if that is enough to keep throttle bodies and sensors always clean is up for debate.
I think they are FI only?

7212Mopar

I installed an oil catch can when my SRT8 was brand new. Throttle body inside is like new with 28k miles. I put on a Moroso catch can when I install my 416 in my 73. First it was running with a Quickfuel 750 carb and later on with Fitech EFI. Every time I look, the inside of my air gap intake is shiny and like brand new. I changed out the gasket to a thicker one about 2 months ago and may be around 4000 miles on the engine. Not even a drop of oil or film inside the intake. Carbon build up in the combustion chamber and exhaust is unavoidable but why add to the intake side? There are older threads on this subject that has a link to an article on how engine PCV works and why oil catch can should be use. I am sold on this and please with how the cans are working on both cars. If having the engine bay looking stock appearance is more important then it is not for you.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Poolshark314

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 21, 2020, 09:50:29 AM
Is there any point to installing one on a carbureted engine?  Shortly after I bought my 09 Challenger R/T I tried to order one from billet technologies but they were back ordered and never got back to me, and I never got ambitious about that project again even though I still own the car.  I see videos where they definitely catch some oil but if that is enough to keep throttle bodies and sensors always clean is up for debate.
I think they are FI only?

That is a good question, I have only used them on newer cars.

Quote from: 7212Mopar on November 21, 2020, 10:12:51 AM
I installed an oil catch can when my SRT8 was brand new. Throttle body inside is like new with 28k miles. I put on a Moroso catch can when I install my 416 in my 73. First it was running with a Quickfuel 750 carb and later on with Fitech EFI. Every time I look, the inside of my air gap intake is shiny and like brand new. I changed out the gasket to a thicker one about 2 months ago and may be around 4000 miles on the engine. Not even a drop of oil or film inside the intake. Carbon build up in the combustion chamber and exhaust is unavoidable but why add to the intake side? There are older threads on this subject that has a link to an article on how engine PCV works and why oil catch can should be use. I am sold on this and please with how the cans are working on both cars. If having the engine bay looking stock appearance is more important then it is not for you.

Are you saying both of your vehicles are EFI now? Did you notice the catch can gathering anything on your 416 with the carb?
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

7212Mopar

Both cars are EFI. 2012 is factory port FI. 1973 is Fitech throttle body FI. North collect a few spoons of oil. I usually check every two months. The Moroso has a drain valve at the bottom so you don't need to unscrew the body.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket