Main Menu

What oil do you use in your 4 speed?

Started by Shoooter, April 17, 2019, 08:10:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

I have read so many different things on what gear oil to run in your 4 speed. Some people run GL4, I know some old school guys run the gl3 but it's hard to get, so what is everyone else using? Thanks

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

cordodge

I purchased an 18 spine from bewers and I'm sure it came  gl4 so I changed it out after a few hundred miles after break in and put Gl4 back in

303 Mopar

Sta-Lube was recommended Brewers and has worked great.  I tried Red Line once and it leaked out the seals, maybe too thin. 

cordodge

Those

I'm using Redline MT 90. Works great but I also have some leak problems with it.

Chryco Psycho

I have tried a bunch of different types of oils but I usually end up with 80-90 GL 4 , GL5 is too slippery for the syncros , I like Redline but I have also has leak problems

Shoooter

Thanks for the information,  any dealers in Canada?

Cudamike

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 18, 2019, 07:42:19 PM
I have tried a bunch of different types of oils but I usually end up with 80-90 GL 4 , GL5 is too slippery for the syncros , I like Redline but I have also has leak problems
u
That's what Brewer told me to use. 80/90 GL 4

Shoooter

The sta-lube or just gl4 80w90?  The sta-lube is about 9 dollars in the states and 36 up here in Canada :barf:

quote author=Cudamike link=topic=10952.msg150949#msg150949 date=1555687279]
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 18, 2019, 07:42:19 PM
u
That's what Brewer told me to use. 80/90 GL 4
[/quote]

Cudamike

Topcat

Then I've also heard that down shift from 3rd to 2nd gear with Redline can be done at a little higher RPM than typical GL4 or GL5.

Thoughts on that?

Chryco Psycho

Might depend on the brass syncro rings used in the build , stock had grooves parallel to the rotation so it could be a bit slow to bleed the oil out between the ring & the gear , inside the cone where they grab , all of the newer kits I have used have 3-4  slots across the normal grooves to allow the oil somewhere to go so they should bite faster  :needphotos: