Main Menu

What tranny fluid

Started by blown motor, March 06, 2022, 10:11:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Just want to be sure. Is ATF+4 ok for a 727 and a 904 or should I use Dexron II?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Scooter

Quote from: blown motor on March 06, 2022, 10:11:33 AM
Just want to be sure. Is ATF+4 ok for a 727 and a 904 or should I use Dexron II?

Most stores don't even stock Dexron II any more. ATF+4 is the recommended replacement.

7212Mopar

I thought suppose to use Dextron III.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

headejm

FWIW - I use Valvoline Dex/Merc in my newly rebuilt 727.

Filthy Filbert

Shouldn't have to use atf 4.   That's what the modern transmissions from dodge call for for some reason.

I had my 48RE rebuilt for my cummins, and they told me that with the clutch packs and stuff that went into it, that ATF 3 is sufficient.

I don't see any reason why an old 727 wouldn't be the same.   I guess worst case, ask whoever you had rebuild the transmission.   If it's all original still... why would a transmission from 1970 require a fluid that wasn't even available until 1998?

Burdar

Just to confuse things further...
Lots of people use type-F in their torqueflites.  Apparently, it's basically the same fluid as that B&M trick-shift stuff.

chargerdon

I agree, if you go to the Auto Parts stores on their shelves you will find ATF+4 at about $13 quart.  727 take between 8-9 quarts depending on the torque converter, so you could spend around $120 to fill one.   You cant even find ATF+3 or Dexron III anymore!!

However,  If you look on the Dipstick of a 1960's- 1970's 727 or 904, it will say use ATF or Dexron II.   You cant find Dexron II or III anymore.   So plain ole ATF !!  However, Walmart still sell plain ATF and you can buy a gallon in "super tech" brand for $17.87 or Valvoline ATF for $14 a gallon.   On the container it says for use in vehicles requiring Dexron III.   I have it in my 1966 Chargers 727 that stuff and it works great!!   

On my 74 Challenger i put in an 1993 A518 overdrive auto and overhauled (new clutches and seals) it before installing.   Its dipstick says use Mopar ATF+ or Dexron II.   I filled it with the Super Tech ATF also and have had no problems.  It was a no brainer in my opinion to use the DEXRON III equivalent at $18 gallon...or $36 to fill, rather than the ATF+4 new stuff which would have cost me $120.   Not only was it less expensive, but, probably has a better "friction value" for the older designed clutch plates than the newer super expensive ATF+4.   

RacerX

Quote from: chargerdon on March 07, 2022, 06:31:49 AM
I agree, if you go to the Auto Parts stores on their shelves you will find ATF+4 at about $13 quart.  727 take between 8-9 quarts depending on the torque converter, so you could spend around $120 to fill one.   You cant even find ATF+3 or Dexron III anymore!!

However,  If you look on the Dipstick of a 1960's- 1970's 727 or 904, it will say use ATF or Dexron II.   You cant find Dexron II or III anymore.   So plain ole ATF !!  However, Walmart still sell plain ATF and you can buy a gallon in "super tech" brand for $17.87 or Valvoline ATF for $14 a gallon.   On the container it says for use in vehicles requiring Dexron III.   I have it in my 1966 Chargers 727 that stuff and it works great!!   

On my 74 Challenger i put in an 1993 A518 overdrive auto and overhauled (new clutches and seals) it before installing.   Its dipstick says use Mopar ATF+ or Dexron II.   I filled it with the Super Tech ATF also and have had no problems.  It was a no brainer in my opinion to use the DEXRON III equivalent at $18 gallon...or $36 to fill, rather than the ATF+4 new stuff which would have cost me $120.   Not only was it less expensive, but, probably has a better "friction value" for the older designed clutch plates than the newer super expensive ATF+4.

Walmart has the ATF+4 in supertech bottles for around $6 a quart.    Not as good as $14 a gallon but definitely better than $13 a quart

70vert

I use TCI Max Shift Street Performance, didn't do a lot of research but figured TCI knows transmissions. I am sure it is a bit more than Walmart but its not like I'm changing it every 6 months  ;) 
The bottle says it exceeds Dexron III and Mercon specs.

MoparLeo

The reason that the fluid recommendation from Mopar changes is that they keep improving the lubrication and friction qualities with improved chemicals especially synthetics.
Obviously you can't change what a 50 year old dipsticks says and the use of Ford fluid was the " trick" in the 70's because of increased friction, but at the cost of the life of the frictions and bands.
Current ATF+4 is reverse compatible with the old fluids. I tend to stay with factory recommendations rather then website opinions . JMO
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

torredcuda

Quote from: Burdar on March 07, 2022, 06:18:31 AM
Just to confuse things further...
Lots of people use type-F in their torqueflites.  Apparently, it's basically the same fluid as that B&M trick-shift stuff.

:iagree: That`s what I`ve heard as well. I have used it in a couple cars with 727s and it worked fine.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

dodj

I don't think there is much issue with using newer fluid in the older tranny's. It's using the older fluid in the newer tranny's that would be a problem.
Heck, I use ATF+4 in my 833....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill