Main Menu

What Transmission fluid?

Started by Cudajason, July 02, 2020, 11:11:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

Quote from: Katfish on July 02, 2020, 11:37:58 AM
518/500 needs ATF-4, it's synthetic

My 2 cents worth !!

I have an A518 in my car.   I looked at its dipstick and on it it says Chrysler ATF+  type 7176 or Dexron II.

Ok i did Google search and Chrysler ATF+ or type 7176 is basically Dexron equivalent.    Dexron II came out in 1975 to meet the new GM specifications...Dextron III came out in 1993, and basically was an upgrade to Dexron II.   

Now since my A518 was mfg in 1992 it only needs Dexron II or equivalent.    ATF+4 didnt hit the scene until 1998.   It was made to specifically work with the Chrysler newer electronic transmissions of the late 90's on.   

So, based upon this any Automatic Transmission Fluid that meets Dexron II/III specifications is good in the older 904, 727, A500 and A518.  I read an article that says the new ATF+4 will work well in the older transmissions as well, but, its a waste of money.   Kinda like putting 93+ octane premium into an engine with low compression.   Doesn't hurt anything except your wallet. 

I buy the Super Tech ATF transmission fluid by the gallon at Walmart, for only $13.99 a gallon.   It is formulated for vehicles requiring Dextron III or lower...   Like our older 727's or A518's.   After a rebuild the A518 takes 11-12 quarts including the torque converter...   So when needing 3 gallons thats a HUGE savings over buying ATF+4 at say O'reillys...   $13.99 x 3 = $42 vs $6.99 x 12 = $84.

Oh...and PS....using this fluid it is shifting great !!   The old expression says "you get what you pay for" but don't waste your money on more than you need !!  But if buying "the best" makes you happy...   great .

Katfish

From Wikipedia:

In 1993, Chrysler released the ATF+3 automatic transmission fluid Material Standard (MS-7176E) to help address the fluid needs of electronically controlled automatic transmissions. This fluid is compatible with the previous ATF+ and ATF+2 fluid, but not compatible with Dexron fluids (although you could use Dexron-II(D) in place of ATF+3). The ATF+2 and ATF+3 fluids were problematic and were withdrawn from the markets by April of 1998.[5]

So ATF-4 is what is recommended

chargerdon

In the late 90's  Chrysler had huge reliability problems with their Front wheel drive electronic transmissions.  Especially in their Mini-vans...that is the big reason why they came out with the ATF+3 and then ATF+4.   

Conversly our RWD torqueflites from the 60's 70's were known for their reliability...and that was on ATF and Dexron.   The A500 and A518 are 904's and 727 fronts meaning hydraulically shifted, with just the tail section changed for the overdrive and electric solenoids.   They work great on Dexron II and III.   

Cudajason

Found a few bottles of +4 one town over...so grabbed them.  I will need more, but this will get me started on reassembly.

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

How about this stuff ? You should have a Chrysler dealership close by, and in 50-60 years you can sell the jug to Murray  :D

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

MoparLeo

Here is a good article on the different fluid types and applications.
https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/fluids.html
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

chargerdon

Quote from: MoparLeo on July 10, 2020, 03:06:53 PM

Yep, here is how i view it.    First off the A518 transmission is essentially a 727 MEANING HYDRAULICLY shifted front end, with the tail section housing the overdrive.   The overdrive is engaged electrically NOT by a computer !!   So it is Electric engaged overdrive not Electronic.   The A500 is essentially a 904 with the overdrive in the tail section being electrically engaged.  Having overhauled my A518 myself i can testify that its clutches are the same type as found in the front of the transmission.   These clutches were designed in the days when Dexron II and III AND THEIR FRICTION characteristics !   Not ATF+3 or +4.   

Chrysler began in the early 90's using Electronically controlled transmissions on the FWD transmission.   These transmission are a totally different design than was the 904 and 727.    THEY HAD problems...  I myself owned a 1994 Chrysler Town and Country mini-van and had to have the transmission replaced twice !!!!!   These transmissions had problems with their sensors and as a result when they got over 50,000 miles on them they would begin to "shudder".   This "shudder" was because the computer in them would get sensor readings showing too high a pressure on the clutches at moderate speeds...and downshift to 3rd...then back to 4'th and then back to 3'rd and ...it would occur rapidly feeling like a Shudder.   This shudder could eventually cause the transmission to totally fail.   I know...my 94 put a gear thru its case !!    I had my mechanic put in a "rebuilt" transmission and torque converter in 1999 and it came with a warning...the warning was to only use ATF+4 as its lubricating properties worked better with the computers sensors.   

SO, in my experience the ATF+4 was an attempt by Chrysler to get people to use a fluid...ATF+4 that worked better with these poorly designed NEWER ELECTRONIC transmissions.   They still had problems anyways and it wasnt until the early 2000's that Chrysler made the necessary design changes for these Electronic FWD transmission.   ATF+4 is NOT necessary in the older hydraulically shifted 904, 727, A500 and A518 transmissions.   Heck some Mopar guys even recommend using Type F (Ford spec) as it will give firmer shifts that us Muscle Car lovers crave...   

The article states that DEXRON III viscosity degrades by as much as 40% at 100,000 miles while the ATF+4 remains more stable.   OK, Good point, put since on my Classic 1974 Challenger i probably put about 2,000 miles a year on it...   I do not think this will be a problem before i pass away.   

Oh...since my 74 Challenger doesn't have a computer, i have wired in two toggle switches...1 to engage the locking torque converter, and the 2nd to engage the overdrive...WHEN I WANT TO...THERE IS ZERO chance of it causing a shudder.   

Use AFT+4 in your A500 and A518 and your 904's and 727's if you want to, it probably wont hurt anything other than your wallet.   On the other hand those older clutches were designed for ATF+ 7176 or Dexron II....says so right on the dipstick... 

Mrbill426

We had a '95 Concorde (3.5) and after about 30k started having problems with the tranny... it was a nightmare going back for dealer rework over and over again.. even replaced the case under warranty  as they claimed it was "porous".  Still had problems with its shifting like it wanted to be in two gears at once.  Engine ran strong but it was otherwise a lemon.  :thumbdown: Don't see many of that series on the road anymore.

Quote from: chargerdon on July 10, 2020, 04:18:54 PM
Quote from: MoparLeo on July 10, 2020, 03:06:53 PM

Yep, here is how i view it.    First off the A518 transmission is essentially a 727 MEANING HYDRAULICLY shifted front end, with the tail section housing the overdrive.   The overdrive is engaged electrically NOT by a computer !!   So it is Electric engaged overdrive not Electronic.   The A500 is essentially a 904 with the overdrive in the tail section being electrically engaged.  Having overhauled my A518 myself i can testify that its clutches are the same type as found in the front of the transmission.   These clutches were designed in the days when Dexron II and III AND THEIR FRICTION characteristics !   Not ATF+3 or +4.   

Chrysler began in the early 90's using Electronically controlled transmissions on the FWD transmission.   These transmission are a totally different design than was the 904 and 727.    THEY HAD problems...  I myself owned a 1994 Chrysler Town and Country mini-van and had to have the transmission replaced twice !!!!!   These transmissions had problems with their sensors and as a result when they got over 50,000 miles on them they would begin to "shudder".   This "shudder" was because the computer in them would get sensor readings showing too high a pressure on the clutches at moderate speeds...and downshift to 3rd...then back to 4'th and then back to 3'rd and ...it would occur rapidly feeling like a Shudder.   This shudder could eventually cause the transmission to totally fail.   I know...my 94 put a gear thru its case !!    I had my mechanic put in a "rebuilt" transmission and torque converter in 1999 and it came with a warning...the warning was to only use ATF+4 as its lubricating properties worked better with the computers sensors.   

SO, in my experience the ATF+4 was an attempt by Chrysler to get people to use a fluid...ATF+4 that worked better with these poorly designed NEWER ELECTRONIC transmissions.   They still had problems anyways and it wasnt until the early 2000's that Chrysler made the necessary design changes for these Electronic FWD transmission.   ATF+4 is NOT necessary in the older hydraulically shifted 904, 727, A500 and A518 transmissions.   Heck some Mopar guys even recommend using Type F (Ford spec) as it will give firmer shifts that us Muscle Car lovers crave...   

The article states that DEXRON III viscosity degrades by as much as 40% at 100,000 miles while the ATF+4 remains more stable.   OK, Good point, put since on my Classic 1974 Challenger i probably put about 2,000 miles a year on it...   I do not think this will be a problem before i pass away.   

Oh...since my 74 Challenger doesn't have a computer, i have wired in two toggle switches...1 to engage the locking torque converter, and the 2nd to engage the overdrive...WHEN I WANT TO...THERE IS ZERO chance of it causing a shudder.   

Use AFT+4 in your A500 and A518 and your 904's and 727's if you want to, it probably wont hurt anything other than your wallet.   On the other hand those older clutches were designed for ATF+ 7176 or Dexron II....says so right on the dipstick...