Main Menu

Where does this e-clip go in the tranny?

Started by tparker, October 04, 2020, 05:25:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I took apart the tranny that has been sitting for almost 30 years. It looked pretty nice and clean inside..... mostly. It had quite a bit of metal shavings so that isn't good. A fair amount was stuck in the filter.

Also sitting in the pan was this tiny e-clip. Not sure where it goes and if it is related to where the shavings are coming from. I didn't notice anything amiss, but it must have came from somewhere. Any ideas?

1 Wild R/T

tparker

Thanks. Who knows how long it would have taken me to figure it out.

1 Wild R/T

Yeah, I've been in that boat myself... Usually if I get talked into working on a GM...

tparker

Well, it turns out it isn't that, if I'm looking at the right part. It has both e-clips. Not sure if I should happy that it isn't those or not. I'd hate to think the tranny shop just left it in. I did change the valve body around 1990, but I don't think I would have accidentally added an e-clip. LOL

1 Wild R/T

It's hard to truly grasp scale, I'm thinking this tip is bigger than the governor clips...  If thats the case, is the park rod still attached to the valve body comb?  If not it could be the clip for that...   Pretty sure it's to small to be the clip that secures the kick down lever to the valve body... 

Cudajason

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on October 05, 2020, 10:17:32 PM
It's hard to truly grasp scale, I'm thinking this tip is bigger than the governor clips...  If thats the case, is the park rod still attached to the valve body comb?  If not it could be the clip for that...   Pretty sure it's to small to be the clip that secures the kick down lever to the valve body...

I was thinking that as well...but it does look to small for that. 

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

I just went our and looked at the disassembled 727 I have in my shed (yes its for sale) and I think the e-clip on the parking rod is bigger then what you pictured. 

I can have a look through some of the other parts and see if I can find anything that is closer.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

1 Wild R/T

There are E clips on the Low/reverse servo, a few locations on the valve body & the governor...  The shape is correct for having come from a Mopar trans.. (They aren't shaped like a hardware store E clip.)

tparker

Thanks all. I'll look around in depth. There are lots of nooks and crannies. I don't see anything that is obvious so I will have to dig around.