Main Menu

Which 4 barrel should I use on my 440

Started by redgum78, November 22, 2019, 10:24:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

redgum78

Need some advice on which 4 barrel to run.

I am currently going through the none matching HP2 440 that came with my challenger. Engine block has 11 67 cast on it.
It was claimed to be a fresh engine that had sat around for years before I brought it. I have the sump and 1 head off and it seems that is probably true, unless I find something as I go deeper it's probably only going to get a hone and re-ring.

The 440 came with a thermoquad on it which I doubt was the original carb for an engine that early?

Looking for advice on;
-Should I overhaul the thermoquad and run it? Are they worth messing with?
-If no- looking for new carb and manifold recommendations for a stock HP 440

Thanks guys

1 Wild R/T

Thermoquads actually are pretty decent carbs....  800 CFM but small primaries for good throttle response off the line....  Tuning parts have gotten harder to find, jets, metering rods, springs, squirters... 

Fact is I just did a quick search for a "Strip Kit". & found a place that sells them.... $500... :headbang:  :thinking: :rofl:
Depending on what your plans are it might work but clearly major tuning isn't going to happen so unless it works as is I'd be looking elsewhere..

Think about EFI... :alan2cents:

dodj

If efi is not affordable, a Quick Fuel carb in the 750-850 cfm range would be my choice. They are very adjustable/tunable. Good parts availability.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

I agree with above , the TQ is a decent carb , they started using them in 71
IMO the Holley Street Dom intake & an 850 cfm carb is the best set up , & would use a Proform Carb as they have the best value well priced & work great .
EFI is the top dog , Throttle body is decent but I far prefer Multiport , the factories used T body for about 4-5 years before all going to multiport

redgum78

Thanks guys,

Sounds like the Thermoquad deserves a chance, externally it looks in real good shape. I think I'll give it a clean up and see how it goes. If that fails I'll check out the street Dominator or Quick fuel.

EFI-In my state I can register the Challenger as "historical" which will cost about $75 a year, where as conventional registration is about $800 a year. To qualify for historical the car must be stock or have minor period correct modifications only. To run EFI I would have to go conventional or modified registration!

dodj

Quote from: redgum78 on November 23, 2019, 02:38:40 PM
To qualify for historical the car must be stock or have minor period correct modifications only. To run EFI I would have to go conventional or modified registration!
:bricks:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
Ouch , $800 registration to run better & cleaner WTH

redgum78

Yep it is crazy.
Victoria Australia. its a great place to live but full of red tape.

I think it stemmed from instances of unsafe modifications when the historical registration was first introduced. They clamped right down on anything that wasn't original equipment. In saying that I am still grateful it exists....otherwise I would be paying $800pa for each car I wanted to drive on public roads.

ClarkWGrizwald

So register with a tquad and then switch out to efi. Switch back any time inspection is needed. Pretty easy swap. I assume there is an inspection

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

redgum78

Quote from: ClarkWGrizwald on November 24, 2019, 07:11:19 AM
So register with a tquad and then switch out to efi. Switch back any time inspection is needed. Pretty easy swap. I assume there is an inspection

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I have a stroked 400 with an angry cam and 6 pack induction in another Mopar that will eventually go into the Challenger. Its way too wild to pass inspection which is why I am working on the 440. Fortunately there are no further inspection after the initial inspection unless the cops notice you and request it.

I have had no experience with Thermoquads which is why I asked if they were worth while or if i should go with a Holley or Eddi. Given the feedback here I'll rock the thermoquad on the 440 to get it through inspection and until I feel it needs a change then I'll drop the 6 pack engine in it  :)

Skunkworks Challenger

I have an 850 TQ on my 440 and love it.  Good fuel economy at posted speed limits and goes like hell when floored

redgum78

Quote from: Skunkworks Challenger on November 25, 2019, 09:02:01 AM
I have an 850 TQ on my 440 and love it.  Good fuel economy at posted speed limits and goes like hell when floored

Lots of good feed back on the TQ, thinking it might be a good option since I already have it.
:stayinlane:

Wayne

If you have the T/Q I would try and make it work.  If buying a new carb, Quickfuel would be my first choice.
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A