Main Menu

Which starter should I get?

Started by rdf, June 22, 2021, 04:06:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

rdf

I've got a 440 that's been stroked to a 493 and we just burned out the starter solenoid.  I'm thinking it wasn't a high torque starter.  For those that have high torque/hp, what do you run?
If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

HP2

Go to your local chain store, ask for a '95 Ram truck V8 starter. Compact, high torque, $70 out the door.  If you kill it, repeat. Although my cheap chain store refurb starter has been spinning my 11:1 motor for 30 years now.

RUNCHARGER

I agree, I actuallly used a starter out of a Dakota for my 472 Hemi that I bought for $15 from PicNPull. It lasted much longer than anything shiny from China.
Sheldon

cuda hunter

I've just gone through every parts store around me.  Napa, auto, oreilly ,carquest.   All are made in China or malaysia(contracted with china).  Pretty much just the Ultima is a mexico reman.  Closest to being made in Mexico. 

A remanned one is 85 bucks up here and a new one is 180.00. 
The remans only come with a few years warranty whereas the new ones come with a lifetime warranty.  With the cheaper parts on all the china models available I would personally spend the extra money for the new one.

If you want American made you have to buy the tuff stuff starter. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

BIGSHCLUNK

I bought a new DENSO from Dave @ Roseville years ago.... no issues ! :wrenching:

Mrbill426

I may be wrong but I believe if you ask, NAPA warranties even their rebuilt  starters for life.   :thinking:

Quote from: cuda hunter on June 24, 2021, 06:48:24 AM
I've just gone through every parts store around me.  Napa, auto, oreilly ,carquest.   All are made in China or malaysia(contracted with china).  Pretty much just the Ultima is a mexico reman.  Closest to being made in Mexico. 

A remanned one is 85 bucks up here and a new one is 180.00. 
The remans only come with a few years warranty whereas the new ones come with a lifetime warranty.  With the cheaper parts on all the china models available I would personally spend the extra money for the new one.

If you want American made you have to buy the tuff stuff starter.

HP2

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 24, 2021, 06:37:42 AM
I agree, I actuallly used a starter out of a Dakota for my 472 Hemi that I bought for $15 from PicNPull. It lasted much longer than anything shiny from China.

Hadn't thought about that. Then you have a shot at a genuine Mopar Mexican unit.

Plange

I agree with the Nippondenso style starter comments. Both the Tuff Stuff or the Dodge Ram starter are Nippondenso design based and are great starters, they typically are around 1.4-1.8kw of power, are easy to rebuilt, the drives are readily available as are the solenoid contacts.
I used to work for Delco Remy in the rotating electrical division and by far these are my favorite style of starter.

Flatdad

I'm rocking a '97 Ram starter on my 528.

On newer big bore Mega-Blocks with expanded water jackets, a 60's-70's era starter won't fit but the 90's truck v8 starters do.

Chryco Psycho

Exactly what I do , grab V8 starters from the wreckers for $25 , replace the terminals under the 3 bolt cap & it is as good as new .

rdf

Awesome!  Thank you everyone for the advice!  :cheers:
If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

7E-Bodies

Mine is a 440 as well. Its original starter long since sacrificed as a core, I guess I'm lucky to have one stamped as a 73. I just had it tested at the local family owned starter/alternator shop yesterday. Tested good. I left it with them to tear it down anyway as they make them look new. As a purist, I wanted date correct, but after being asked $600 for a "possibly rebuildable core" I figured I'd roll with what I had. If anyone sees it and says anything, I guess I'll politely ask them to get away from my car, lol. In the meantime, I'll continue to look for one dated prior to 69 November.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

HP2

There are a variety of options out there to be pursued.

Huskidrive

I just bought a mini starter from Mancini. Spins the engine like magic....I just have to get used to the "new" sound......

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You....It's Huskidrive!