Main Menu

Which trans, where to get? Opinions wanted

Started by 70Barracuda, March 29, 2020, 10:44:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70Barracuda

Was talking w my buddy about getting new exhaust and my 833 leaking bad not wanting oil on my new exhaust. He said, get a 5 speed in there you'll wish you did it a long time ago.  He has a Tremec 5 speed says its like butter. 

Where do I go and what do I do?  I'd like to keep my bell and z bar.  Basically I want to keep this as cheap yet well done and proper as I can.  Your ideas and experiences are helpful
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

Chryco Psycho

You need to drive a Tremec first & don't drive it nice , I have done a few swaps with the 5 speeds & they are Ok , can be slow / notchy to shift .  The tremec needs a different belhousing due to bolt pattern or you need an adapter plate , I believe at least $4k 
There are a lot of options none really cheap except the 833 OD which basically bolts in with a few minor tweaks , you can rebuild your 833 & add the Gear Vendors OD for about the same cash = 8 speeds ,, there is the T56 / T56 magnum which will require surgery , or Passon has a OD 4 spd & the 855 5 speed that bolt in but it is a long wait to get the 855 but worth it .

70Barracuda

70 Challenger Lover

I decided to get on the Passon waiting list for my latest project but man it's super pricey. A quality rebuild would be a tiny fraction of the cost. I do have a five speed OD Tremec in my 64 Vette and I love it but Chryco is right that it's a little slow and notchy. Smooth and nice under cruising conditions but not the greatest for fast aggressive shifting. Plus I've heard they aren't as strong as other trans out there.

70Barracuda

My 833 was rebuilt a few years back, it works good.  Pretty sure the countershaft is leaking.  A post I read said pull the trans back a 1/2 inch, spray brake cleaner, let it dry, use a brush to put Permatex ultra gray in there, bolt it up.  I'll try that.

Thanks

Daveh

I've done the same thing with the countershaft in the past but after you put the Permatex on slide in a thin piece of any gasket material and it will smoosh right up and not leak. Works great.  Good luck.

70Barracuda

It worked!  Slid the trans back just enough to get in there.  So far, no leaks

Thank you