Main Menu

Worth converting from 22" to 26" radiator opening?

Started by b5cuda, July 23, 2018, 11:58:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

b5cuda

Hey everyone, I'm getting close to starting body work on my cuda and wondering whether to keep the 22" radiator opening or expand to 26"?  Nothing wrong with the current rad support, the only reason to change would be to allow a larger radiator.  Planning to install a 5.7 engine, manual trans, air conditioning. I'm happy to keep the smaller opening if a 22" radiator is able to do the job.  Appreciate your opinions, I've been learning a lot from this great site!
FYI: car was originally a 318 BH, auto, with few options, off the road for over 20 years.  Seemed like the perfect blank slate for a restomod/daily driver. 

1 Wild R/T

What's the climate like where you live?   If your in Alaska or Canada maybe not but Texas/Arizona/New Mexico get it done.....  I would hesitate to change a numbers matching collector car (but to be honest I changed the core support on my 68 Coronet R/T convertible) but for what your building Id strongly consider the change.... Pretty easy right now very hard after it's panted...

b5cuda

Good question!  I'm right in the middle; N.E. Kansas

1 Wild R/T

I lived outside Salina for a year while my dad was in Vietnam.... It can get plenty hot & Humid in Kansas..... I wouldn't hesitate to add a big radiator & A/C..... 

JS29

You said it yourself, It's A blank slate. I agree it's easier to do it now and it would run cooler.   :wrenching:

superdave

:popcorn:  I've seen 112 degrees here and 31 below (Fahrenheit) so it may not hurt to change it. :thinking: Keep in touch, I'm in Topeka, it would be fun to help with the project if you need a hand.

RzeroB

I thought the opening in the core support was the same for both? IIRC the 22" radiator has a wider right-angle mounting flange attached to one side of it to bridge the gap. Do I have this wrong?
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Racer57

Change it.  Keep the old one stashed away for future buyer in case they want numbers matching items.

Katfish

Opening is smaller on 22", having said that, I put a 26" radiator where the 22" was without opening the spot.  If you have it apart, I'd cut the opening.  I wouldn't bother trying to replace with "correct" passenger side panel.

My car cools fine in the hot south FL weather

b5cuda

The opening on mine is 22 & 3/4" wide.  How much wider is the opening for a 26" radiator? 

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RzeroB on July 23, 2018, 01:51:44 PM
I thought the opening in the core support was the same for both? IIRC the 22" radiator has a wider right-angle mounting flange attached to one side of it to bridge the gap. Do I have this wrong?

18.5" radiator has a wide flange & bolts to a 22" core support... 26" is different.... 

RzeroB

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 23, 2018, 03:51:52 PM
Quote from: RzeroB on July 23, 2018, 01:51:44 PM

18.5" radiator has a wide flange & bolts to a 22" core support... 26" is different....

So there must have been either the "standard" or the "26" core support stamping that was used in the gate-jig to assemble and weld-up the basic body.

:idea:  probably why they put "26" on the fender tags so the guys picking the parts would know which stamping to pick out and put into the gate-jig!
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

RUNCHARGER

IMO: There is just no reason not to go to a 26 inch rad unless you have a narrow rad now in good condition.
Sheldon

b5cuda

Thanks everyone for your input, sounds like the consensus is go big or stay home!  Much obliged,
Bill