Main Menu

1970 exhaust manifold heat stove

Started by broughj, March 12, 2021, 03:39:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

broughj

The studs on my driver side big block manifold that are used to attach the heat stove have been ground off flush to the casting boss.  I want to try to machine those stud pieces out without destroying the thread in the manifold. I'm going to use a Vertical mill and expect to have to drill them out completely.  Are the manifold end of the studs 1/4-20, 5/16-18, or something else.  Any other ideas how to get them out without machining?

Thanks,

John Brough

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

wes473

You're a brave soul,
Soak in pb blaster or similar... An old farm trick is to heat cycle and pb soak days ahead, and pray.
-Dremel grind a flat for a screw driver.
-After you find and drill on center as best you can I'd try to easy out as much as possible.
-In theory is you're handy at brazing, you could insert a steel rod into the drill hole and braze it then have something to spin...(similar to welding a nut onto a stuck bolt of larger size)
-If that dosn't work you can step it out to tap drill size(you can use an endmill to recenter).

Once you go down this road I'd be prepaired to use a keensert and redo the threads in the end, hope the on center drill holes were good!

Or find a good manifold ;-)  :cheers: